Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Gear ratio -1/+2 or 0/+2

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rv6john 
#1 ·
So guys my chain and sprockets are due for 2011 gsxr 600. And I want to try out a different gearing set up. Either -1/+2 or jus +2 in the rear. What cha think? Will -1/+2 be too drastic? Or will there be not enough difference with the only +2 in the rear..

This is jus for street riding nothing crazy no stunting. I lost a bit of low end power from removing the cat so thought this might be a good way to make of for it. Don’t mind losing a bit of top end and don’t care if the front wheel comes up a bit. Learning curve for wheelies? Lol

I would like to go for steel rather then aluminum and stick to a 525 rather then a 520! And suggestions and what’s a good place to get a kit or even chain and sprockets separately? Thx for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
-1/+2 is the most common swap and no, it's not crazy at all.

A rule of thumb is that 1 tooth change in the front is equivalent to an almost 3 tooth change in the back.

Depending on the miles on the chain, you might be able to just swap the sprockets.

If you do go with only +2 on the back, check to make sure you have enough chain to accommodate it. If the axle is near the front of the swing arm slot now, you will need a chain as the axle will have to move almost 5/8" forward.

That is the beauty of the -1/+2. Same chain length and almost the same axle position.

You will not lose any top end. The bike will run out of power before it runs out of rpm.

#3 ·
-1/+2 is the most common swap and no, it's not crazy at all.

A rule of thumb is that 1 tooth change in the front is equivalent to an almost 3 tooth change in the back.

Depending on the miles on the chain, you might be able to just swap the sprockets.

If you do go with only +2 on the back, check to make sure you have enough chain to accommodate it. If the axle is near the front of the swing arm slot now, you will need a chain as the axle will have to move almost 5/8" forward.

That is the beauty of the -1/+2. Same chain length and almost the same axle position.

You will not lose any top end. The bike will run out of power before it runs out of rpm.

Thx for the fast reply John I’m sold... -1/+2 it is then.. now any ideas best place to get a good kit? Steel sprockets.. I’ll take durability and longevity over weight saving.

#4 ·
Not really, you just need to shop around.

The last set I bought was for my DR650 and found the best deal on Amazon. The sprockets came from one seller, the chain another.

Just go with a good name chain like DID, EK, etc. A front sprocket is not that special so any decent brand will do. If you want to jazz up the rear, the Super Sprox are pretty cool with the aluminum center and steel teeth.

#5 · (Edited)
2 teeth increase on the rear sprocket will NOT require the rear axle to move forward 5/8" when using 5/8" pitch chain such as 525. It will require moving about 5/16ths of an inch. Actually slightly more cuz the angle of the chain between the sprockets increases so maybe 21/64ths or something like that.

Regarding the sprockets... don't forget about -1/+1 option too which is a "middle ground" between the other 2 options you mentioned. Also is the combination with the least amount of change in the rear axle position, which should be only a very slight move forward.

As far as which sprocket to get, I strongly recommend SuperSprox stealth which is the colored aluminum core with black steel teeth. It is the best of both worlds (weight savings of aluminum and the longevity of steel). I like to get them in the color to match my bike. Check them out at www.supersproxusa.com

#6 ·
You are correct. Adding just the 2 teeth in the back brings the axle forward about 1/4"

16/43 stock = 21.02" center to center
16/45 0/+2 = 20.75"
15/45 -1/+2 =20.86"
15/44 -1/+1 = 21.00"

(Stock 114 link 525 chain)

REBEL GEARS CUSTOM MADE MOTORCYCLE SPROCKETS ANY SIZE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.