Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Bike no start

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  JCW 
#1 ·
I have a 01 gsxr 1000 that has been completely taken apart and redone from crank bearings to trying to get it to crank period. I have replaced pistons, rods, rod bearings, crank bearings, did a diy vavle job on all the seats, and i literally do not know wht else to do. Everything checks out lik its supposed too, all readings are true and up to spec, im jus lost right now. Ive had this bike for over a year and a half, and yet too hear it run. Pleez help me

#3 ·
Yes dash lights up, it jus turns over and over and thats it. The harness is plugged in as it shud be. When i got the bike i was told that it needed the wiring harness put back on and thats it, well come to find out it had spun a rod bearing in the number 1 cylinder. So got motor tore completly apart, put new pistons, new rods, rod bearings, crank bearings, gotta new ecu, and got it all put back together and nothing

#5 ·
Air, fuel and spark are what you need with any gas engine.

You need to determine what is missing.

First. Are you sure you have compression?

Second. Have you pulled a spark coil out, put in a sparkplug, cranked the engine and made sure you had spark?

Third. If those are good, spray some starting fluid in the throttle bodies and see if it fires up for a short while.

#6 · (Edited)
Everything rv6john said! Did u test for spark on all the coils, are u getting fuel ? If u can rebuild a motor I’m assuming you know all this assuming your getting spark and fuel it has to be a internal issue. And I’m just putting this out there a lot of people get fooled by that kickstand sensor and I had a tilt sensor upside down once and the bike wouldn’t run .

#7 ·
Yes guys and i appreciate everything ur telling me. Ive checked for spark on each coil, good, ive checked the fuel good, ive sprayed starting fluid in the throttle bodies, and nothing. Yes it has compression also, i jus dont get it. Its really wearing me out cuz ive had this bike for soong and havent heard it run not one time

#9 ·
IF, and that is a big IF, the engine has compression and ignition as you say, it would do something with the starting fluid. Even a little pop or burp.

My only guess as to why it won't run is that you have the cam/s or cam sensor 180 off if that is possible. Otherwise, the spark is coming at TDC of the exhaust/intake stroke and not at the TDC of the compression stroke.

I don't know that year/model engine at all, but it is a reasonable guess knowing how the system works. I don't know if it is physically possible to mess this up or not.

Reactions: JCW
#8 · (Edited)
I’d like to help u but I’m stumped . Did u possibly foul out the spark plugs by dumping fuel down the tb? There’s 2 flappers a upper and lower on your tb try to manually open the lower enuff for starting fluid to get down there. Does that bike still have a manual choke? Go over all your work and sensors/wiring one last time make sure nothings backwords most of the sensors stop spark if u never heard it run and your telling us u have spark in all cylinders u have it during cranking. If ur getting fuel and ur getting spark and u have compression I’d say it should start it don’t have to run good yet but it should atleast start on starting fluid/ether. If not it’s got to be internal engine issue maybe those valves are not rite.

#10 ·
I took a look in the service manual and it is impossible to install the CMP sensor wrong.

If the cam/s are not set correctly I would be surprised that you have compression.

How are you determining that you have compression?

#11 ·
Yeah I agree with you John, I would think the cams are set/timed backwards 180 degrees or which would lead to having improper valve opening which means none to little compression. You need to get a compression test kit with gauges and test each cylinder and see what you have while turning it over. Most problems I have had with bikes are a result of something I did wrong or overlooked.

#12 ·
I have a manual on the year of the bike and it shows how the cams r supposed to be set in the book. Each mark on the cam, the 3 and the 2 shud be facing straight up, and there shud be 14 pins in between each cam is wht it says. Am i doing it wrong? I dunno how else to do it other than the way it shows. Ok guys thanx again and ill try and see if my cams r off, update coming soon, thanx again fellas

#13 ·
It sounds like you have it right and the manual is pretty straight forward.

I'll ask again, how are you determining that you have compression? Have you actually measured it with a compression gauge? This will tell you pretty quick if you have a mechanical issue.

#16 ·
It sounds like you have it right and the manual is pretty straight forward.

I'll ask again, how are you determining that you have compression? Have you actually measured it with a compression gauge? This will tell you pretty quick if you have a mechanical issue.

^ @Leisher, this would be the starting point.

Do a compression test on all 4 cylinders and post up the readings...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Another thing, Are the valves adjusted correctly? Do you ACTUALLY HAVE compression. Neither of these things have been directly answered by the OP... I would think, that if he has fuel, and spark that he would get a pop, blip, thump, SOMETHING while trying to start it... We aren't getting a key piece of info here... Firing order? Ignition timing?

#15 ·
The firing order is a good point. OP mentioned "it needed the wiring harness put back on" possibly it is hooked up in reverse order? Most of the time mixing up the coil wires is not easy as they are laid out to where they go. But with all the work done....????

#18 ·
I have a cracked intake boot and now its not firing. No spark on either coil, and yes it has compression. The only way i had to determine that was by putting my hand over each intake port. I dnt have a compression tester. When i put my hand over each port, theres alot of compression for each port

#20 ·
You lost me. You said you had ignition previously. Now you have some ignition?

The quality of the responses are directly affected by the quality of the information you provide.
"Garbage in, garbage out."

I guess you have compression. I've used the thumb over the spark plug hole test plenty although it's impossible with this engine. You should be able borrow a tester at any auto parts store.

As Vadar225 said, the intake boot is a non factor. It will run, just poorly.

#19 ·
Ok, so we can assume that you have compression, we don't know for certain if you have enough, but lets assume you do. the cracked throttle boot won't prevent it from starting so ignore that for now, replace it later. From left to right when sitting on the bike the cylinders are labeled 1-2-3-4. Which ones do you have spark on, and which do you not have spark? If you have spark on 1 and 4, but not 2 and 3, I would swap the coils from 1 and 4 to 2 and 3 and see if I am getting spark on 2 and 3 then. If you then get spark on 2 and 3 then you can determine that the coils you swapped out are bad. If you still don't get spark with what you know is a good coil, then you need to check the wires on the cylinders that are not firing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.