GSXR.com - View Single Post - '06 600 Bogging at 1/4 throttle plus PAIR code
View Single Post
post #33 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:06 PM
rv6john
Lifetime Premium

@Chuckster. I understand what you are saying about the pairing of cylinders as #1 and #4 are in the same position whereas #2 and #3 are both 180 degrees out.

When I helped out a guy with a K7 600 that would not start about a month ago, I remember thinking the CKP was not in the position I expected it to be when we pulled the cover off.

As you can see from the picture below, the "wide" tooth on the cam chain side of the engine is clearly lined up with the #1 and #4 crank pins.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 GSXR K6 600 crankshaft large notch to cyl 1 and 4.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	288225

On installation of the cam chain sprocket/trigger wheel, the "wide" tooth is aligned with the wide trigger portion of the trigger wheel. Otherwise, when cylinder #1 is TDC, the wide trigger is pointing towards TDC. ("up")

Name:	2 GSXR K6 600 Cam chain sprocket installation wide tooth.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	288227

From this picture we can tell that #1/#4 is about 45 degrees BTDC.

Name:	3 GSXR K6 600 trigger wheel installed..jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	288229

The kicker is that the CKP is mounted below the trigger wheel so it would be giving it's long "high" pulse at BTC of cylinders #1 and #4 or TDC of #2 and #3. (I flipped the following cover picture to orient it with the engine picture)

Name:	4 GSXR K6 600 CKP location in cover.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	288231

Of course this does not help the OP directly, but it is interesting just when the CKP receives the long signal on each crankshaft rotation. It seems that #2 and #3 get direct pulses for timing and timing for #1 and #4 is interpreted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
If you think reading is tricky, how the hell are you going to follow troubleshooting directions?
"Riding well is difficult, riding poorly is easy and painful."
- Nick Ienatsch

"We're all here because we're not all there" - Guy Favron on Gold Rush

K6 750

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome