2009 GSXR 1000
So here we are, a nicely painted, brand new set of race fairings. First day out on this set of fairings mind you.
Well, everything went great that day up until the last session at NCBike. It was a Sunday so we pit out left so long straight into turn 1, then turn 2, then the double radius in turn 2 washed me out. Bad combo of lazy body position and cold tires.
Damages: a few scratches (no holes), exhaust muffler, frame slider, right clip-on (snapped at fork mount), rear spool, and right rearset.
So while I was looking up parts I decided to go full-on race mode with this bike and purchase an Ohlins TTX GP rear shock and since the TTX30mm NIX are discontinued and I found the TTX25 Pressurized at the same price (Ebay, Kyle's Motorsports) I went for it. I knew this would present me with a task and so I started. I replaced everything broken or damaged from the crash with all new vortex parts and Two Brothers parted out all of the parts I needed for the exhaust. (Derek at Two Bros).
One stud snapped right in the middle. Came out with the right tool.
Ok, with the exhaust off and all new Vortex clip-on's, spools, frame sliders, and rear-sets installed... Time to move on to the suspension...
I didn't take pictures of every linkage bolt coming out or anything due to many videos out there for you to see. The focus is the forks and how I accomplished them without the Ohlins special tools.
And the madness starts...
Done for that night due to more tools needed. At this point, I needed the tool to screw the cartridge into the fork leg. But in order to do that you have to gut the fork lower (axle holder) which requires a lot of heat, spirits, patience, and strength.
(screw buying a $200 tool to do this (race tech), grind down a flat head or use a Philips head that fits without much gap like 1mm gap 2mm max. For you anal people, this did not hurt a thing just make sure to use A LOT of heat before trying to unscrew the stanchion. Like so much heat you see the lock tight bubbling out of the lower around the leg.)
That is done, now I use a dremel tool to cut a slit in the preload adjuster (as I don't have a 1-2mm pin spanner wrech just laying around) and chiseled the adjuster out by hitting it like I was turning it out.
Now you plug it and drop the cap off the bottom of the cartridge kit inside the lower before screwing the leg back on. Like so... (in one of the reply photos)
Now making the tool to screw the cart. in. I needed to shave down a 1 1/4in. galv steel pipe to the right diameter.(bottom of picture, original beside the shaved pipe)
Time to cut...
Back together, a week later...
This post will continue through testing!
*Once done I didn't realize it only allows 10 pics per post. So sorry for the choppiness!*