GSXR.com

GSXR.com (https://www.gsxr.com/forumindex.php)
-   Tech and performance chat. (https://www.gsxr.com/13-tech-performance-chat/)
-   -   199 gsxr600? (https://www.gsxr.com/13-tech-performance-chat/241331-199-gsxr600.html)

Stinger600r 04-11-2019 03:12 PM

199 gsxr600?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello board,
I just bought a 1999 GSXR600 and I have this problem: It idles really rough. It runs OK above 5k. After it heats up to normal temp it idles high at lights around 5k and I either side idle adjust it or slip the clutch to pull the motor down. When I first got it it the exhaust wreaked like it was blowing at least 50% gas out the Yoshi pipe. Its improved alot but it still gets suckass gas mileage and runs like shit. I dont wanna give the local stealership $800 for 45mins of carb cleaning but I don't wanna F it up on my own either. Any exp. help would be appreciated.

rv6john 04-11-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger600r (Post 3685515)
Hello board,
I just bought a 1999 GSXR600 and I have this problem: It idles really rough. It runs OK above 5k. After it heats up to normal temp it idles high at lights around 5k and I either side idle adjust it or slip the clutch to pull the motor down. When I first got it it the exhaust wreaked like it was blowing at least 50% gas out the Yoshi pipe. Its improved alot but it still gets suckass gas mileage and runs like shit. I dont wanna give the local stealership $800 for 45mins of carb cleaning but I don't wanna F it up on my own either. Any exp. help would be appreciated.

It is plenty of hours to remove, clean, repair, reinstall and adjust those four carbs. I'm guessing $100/hr at the dealer so they are assuming 8 hours. That sounds about right.

Either educate yourself or shop for a private shop that hopefully know what they are doing.

Stinger600r 04-11-2019 04:51 PM

The main reason I don't is it is slowly but steadily improving in performance. I think it sat for a looooong time. Every week it runs a little better. The carbs appear alot newer than the block. Besides the rough, sticky idle it runs great. It hits 125mph w/ no problems whatsoever and I have no doubts could hit 155mph. No smoke, no oil. fan kicks on 225degrees every freakin time, clutch, brakes all good.

It just gets shitty gas mileage and runs rough a hell under 5k. But it starts quickly and cleanly EVERY freakin time I hit the starter. I just ain't paying $800 for a carb job on a 20yr old 40k+ mileage old gixxer thats not worth $2k.

rv6john 04-11-2019 05:19 PM

Then put some Sea Foam in it and carry on.

Vader225 04-11-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rv6john (Post 3685523)
Then put some Sea Foam in it and carry on.

Yeah, that's the magic $6 can.

Stinger600r 04-12-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vader225 (Post 3685535)
Yeah, that's the magic $6 can.

To SeaFoam's credit I've seen some videos of some amazing improvements. Its def worth $8.

Spyder13 04-12-2019 11:15 AM

First, you would need to find a shop that even WOULD go through your carbs. Many Stealerships will turn you away. I wouldn't trust them anyway. Your problem WILL NOT just go away. Yes, it could get better, but you will never get the full performance out of it until you pull the carbs. There are a few INTENSIVE YouTube videos on rebuilding those electronic carbs. Do a few searches, worded around "Slingshot" Mikuni's. One last thing, post up where you live. There may be someone in your area willing to give you a hand. Though us carb guys are slowly becoming extinct, there are still a few of us around... Good luck, and keep us posted...

Stinger600r 04-13-2019 11:24 AM

Thanks Spyder.

Stinger600r 04-14-2019 01:40 PM

I've comparitively researched my bike issue and it looks to be a pilot jet problem. It runs great above 5k but below it sucks. The pipe tip is covered in a thick layer of soot and reeks of gas (running rich) in addtion to the idle issue so its something minor but adjusting a pilot jet is hard w/ just basic tools so I'll gladly give the local dealership (which is very honest btw) $200 to fix it.

Spyder13 04-15-2019 09:05 AM

$200 really isn't a bad price at all to tune a set of carbs. BUT... I am STRONGLY recommending that you pull them out and go over them the right way. Check jet size, needle height, Float level, and generally (at least) run a couple guitar strings through all the tiny passages. Then an overall good rinsing with a can or 2 of carb cleaner. Another very common issue with these carbs for running rich on the low end is worn out emulsion tubes. VERY common. Again, there are a few good YouTube videos on these procedures... Let us know how it works out!

Oh... Where are you?

Stinger600r 04-15-2019 11:48 AM

New Orleans area. Thanks for the info. This vid seems to hit the nail on the head as it relates to my bike. Up to 5k it runs like crap, sticky high idle. I'm thinking the carb is just old and dirty (like the owner:) and needs a good thorough cleaning which IF it "only" costs me $200 I'm OK w/ that. IF?

Spyder13 04-16-2019 02:27 PM

You mentioned that you thought you were running too rich. Have you read your plugs? pull your spark plugs and see what color they are. Really black and sooty, is rich. White and ashy looking, is too lean. Check it out. If the shop is only going to charge you $200 for ALL of the work to make it run RIGHT. Do your self a favor and ask what exactly they are going to do, right out of the gate...