Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Been lurking for awhile and finally joined so let me say whats up first. Anyways I got an 02 GSXR 600 and its like brand new the guy never rode it but it had been sitting for 2 years in his garage without being started with gas in the tank. So I take it in to get new tires and a new battery and this is where my nightmare starts. I'm told the carbs are completely gunked up with lime and it would be better to find a new set of carbs so I call around and finally found a junk yard with a set so I buy them. The shop I have it at had already had the bike for 3 weeks at that point but I took the carbs in last thursday and today they call and tell me everythings good and together but that now the gas tank is corroded from the gas sitting for so long and now I need to get the gas tank relined. I called around and most shops are all booked out for at least a month but I found a place called Gas Tank Renu which they said they could get it done without having to wait but that the process will remove the paint from the tank which at this point I just want my bike. I work at a design company and am a designer so if anything I'll just wrap the tank as I wanted to wrap the bike anyway.
But my question is, ive been told you can buy kits to reline the tank. Now I have no mechanical experience what so ever and the process involves muriatic acid from what I was told. Does anybody have any advice on DIY relining or on what I should do. I'm so frustrated and just want my bike at this point as its been 7 weeks since I got it. Any insight into having a bike sit for a few years with gas in the tank would be great or any experience in relining a tank would be awesome too. Thanks Guys.

·
Super Moderator
8,875 Posts
Welcome.

There are a number of DIY options just by searching "motocycle gas tank sealer". I helped a friend do the POR-15 process on an old bike and it worked fine.

There is no need to damage the paint.

Before the coating, it is best to remove as much loose rust as possible. A big handful of hardware (nuts and bolts) agitated in the tank with some soapy water works pretty well. Obviously, you remove the fuel pump and clean separately.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Get your bike back, and assess the tank yourself. Or, take a clear picture of the inside, and post it up here. NEVER trust what ANY shop tells you. Your tank may be in MUCH better shape than what they are telling you. Also, make sure you get your old carbs back from them as well. They are likely rebuildable too. Not to mention sellable, as as you just found out, aren't cheap. Repairing, or relining your tank is not very difficult. Just takes patience, and attention to detail.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I fixed a buddies tank on his 07 GSXR 750 which sat after a crash and multiple deployments for years.

Fuel pump came out then I put the base only back in. This is a DIY method that works but is kind of risky. I filled the tank with apple cider vinegar to the top of the rust line (his was rusted to the brim so he had to buy 5 gallons of vinegar). I then left it for several days making sure to shake the tank once a day at a minimum. After that you get can get a lining kit which works well or immediately fill it with old oil and shake it vigorously to stop the acid from doing its thing. The cautionary part is DO NOT let air get to if for very long or rust will appear again, go straight from dumping the old vinegar to rinsing it with a hose to drying it with a fan/air hose/heat gun, then applying your liner or oil.

I fixed his bike in 2017 and so far he has had no rust come back but he does keep it full of fuel. Air/moisture can bring rust.

Probably not the best method but it worked on a Florida bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate your guys replies! I've really been thinking about doing it myself but I'm just really nervous since I dont have any experience. I definitely will be getting back my carbs too, I was wondering if it was even worth it. That's the worst part tho is the only place I can get it relined without waiting till the end of october will remove the paint. The only reason I'm not too skeptical on what the mechanic is saying is because they won't make any money from me having to get the tank relined itll actually be more of an inconvenience for them since they'll have to wait until I get it done to put the tank back on and get paid. This whole thing has just been so frustrating.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Watch some youtube on it, google some articles about it, and do it yourself. It wasn't hard in my opinion.

Also, I'm confused about your Carbs? Yours is a 2002 which has throttle bodies (not carbs), so were your injectors clogged or was there white corrosion on the metal surfaces? What did you actually purchase as a replacement?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Oh, it's an '02??? I was thinking '99 for some reason. Yes, EVL is correct, the '02 600 does NOT have carburetors. Now I am confused as well. Without question, get all of your old parts back. The plot thickens...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts