Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My k3 600 50k miles has an issue where under hard acceleration it will almost have a skip, tug feeling or stepped acceleration. It seemed to happen in first once or twice if I remember correctly but only seems to really do it after 10k in 2nd. It will feel like it skips 2-3 times from 10k to redline. It almost feels like its missing a tooth on the front sprocket. The RPMS don't jump up much like it's really slipping. It doesn't make a horrible sound. It feels like someone is almost grabbing my back tire for a second and then letting go. It never goes into neutral; it stays in gear in the whole time from what I can tell. I can hit redline no problem in 2nd if I don't accelerate hard. I just replaced the rear bearings and did a chain and sprocket kit as they were both worn. I added new rubber to the cush drive. It's never done it in any gear above 2nd. I have a power commander and I tried a different tune. Curious if anyone has a had this issue? Sounds like the trans could be the issue from other posts. Curious if the clutch ever throws symptoms like this as that would be the least expensive to change out. Thank you for your time.

·
Mod of the North
30,149 Posts
I was going to suggest chain & sprocket but you have that covered. Clutch slippage is usually not for short jerks like that but I suppose it is easy enough to inspect it.

Is is possible something is cutting ignition briefly similar to the way a quick shifter would? Loose side stand? I don’t see why that would only be in 2nd gear though. We need the big boys in here for better info.

Reactions: Gschlaifer

·
Mod of the North
30,149 Posts
When it happens is the tach jumping or falling back? Jumping is slippage somewhere, falling back is ignition/injectors.

Reactions: Gschlaifer

·
Administrator
11,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'll go with Tin's idea and it sounds like it is missing at higher rpm and load. When was the last time you did spark plugs and checked the coils for burn marks or leaks?

Reactions: Gschlaifer and XPOH

·
Administrator
11,963 Posts
The 2nd gear on most bikes is the first to fail if any, but that is usually right after going into 2nd, not at high rpm when the load is actually less. Second, it sounds and feels BAD. It is steel banging into steel so hard to ignore. But suit yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 2nd gear on most bikes is the first to fail if any, but that is usually right after going into 2nd, not at high rpm when the load is actually less. Second, it sounds and feels BAD. It is steel banging into steel so hard to ignore. But suit yourself.
There are quite a few posts about this problem. Everyone else who has had it needed to replace second gear. It just cheaper for me to buy a used engine than to split the cases and get it fixed. The rpms don't really jump like it's a clutch slipping and it's only in second gear. No other gear is affected, or at least I can't replicate it in any other gear. It seems like if was fuel related it would show in all gears. I did also use a different tune to see if that changed anything. Did you watch the video clip to see what it was doing?

·
Administrator
11,963 Posts
There are quite a few posts about this problem. Everyone else who has had it needed to replace second gear. It just cheaper for me to buy a used engine than to split the cases and get it fixed. The rpms don't really jump like it's a clutch slipping and it's only in second gear. No other gear is affected, or at least I can't replicate it in any other gear. It seems like if was fuel related it would show in all gears. I did also use a different tune to see if that changed anything. Did you watch the video clip to see what it was doing?
Oh, that is violent and the tach is jumping. A lot more than I read into your first comment.

Those are good points, carry on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts