Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just bought my gsxr 600 and cant figure out the problem. it starts and dies about 3 seconds later, when i give it throttle it dies instantly. iv clean the fuel pump and it puts of plenty of gas, checked for spark and all plugs have a pinkish spark buying new plugs soon. I also fully charged the battery over night, put it in dealer mode and zero codes came up. I did notice that the headlight wont come on unless its on high beam if that makes a difference. The previous owner says it would start and run with starting fluid and even rev. im stumped with this thing any help?

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
When you checked for codes was the key still on from right after the bike died?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
i just bought my gsxr 600 and cant figure out the problem. it starts and dies about 3 seconds later, when i give it throttle it dies instantly. iv clean the fuel pump and it puts of plenty of gas, checked for spark and all plugs have a pinkish spark buying new plugs soon. I also fully charged the battery over night, put it in dealer mode and zero codes came up. The previous owner says it would start and run with starting fluid and even rev. im stumped with this thing any help?

Please post an introduction for you and your bike in the new members section when you get a chance.

Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on? You will hear it if it does.

Is the air filter clean? Does it start easily before it dies? What rpm does it idle at before it dies? How old is the fuel? Any rust or other rubbish in the tank?

What is the voltage on the battery with ignition off, on, while cranking and at idle?

The more info you give us the more chance we have to help.

Also, why did you buy a bike that wasn't working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
my bad just in a hurry lol, the fuel pump does prime and it has a new air filter. It will idle at around 1k then die shortly after, any throttle will kill it to.The tank is clean and the gas is about 2 weeks old. i dont have a tester to check battery voltage right niw but figured since i charged it, it would be fine. I got a really good deal on the bike so i bought it

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
my bad just in a hurry lol, the fuel pump does prime and it has a new air filter. It will idle at around 1k then die shortly after, any throttle will kill it to.The tank is clean and the gas is about 2 weeks old. i dont have a tester to check battery voltage right niw but figured since i charged it, it would be fine. I got a really good deal on the bike so i bought it

Try the simple stuff first. Turn the idle speed up to 1300.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
i havent checked the codes after it died i just turned the key on and checked for them.

Put the bike in dealer mode - does your bike have -C00 when it's off? Is the - in the middle, top or bottom position?

Leave it in dealer mode and start it up. The moment you turn the key off, the codes will clear. You can turn the bike off with the kill switch if you want and that won't clear the codes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that would make a diffrence? id thought that that wouldnt help since it wont take throttle, it also wont start with choke. when the bike was off it showed c00. ill try tommorow and see after it dies what it shows

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Is you bike fuel injected or does it have carbs? Edit: I just looked it up - its injected so there is no choke.

Yes, too low an idle speed will cause problems.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
that would make a diffrence? id thought that that wouldnt help since it wont take throttle, it also wont start with choke. when the bike was off it showed c00. ill try tommorow and see after it dies what it shows

The - symbol before the C00 indicates whether the throttle position sensor is adjusted right. It should be in the middle at 1300 rpm, and go to the top position when you give it some throttle.

Chances are, adjusting your idle speed will help a lot.

Also, get yourself a digital multimeter that is capable of testing diodes. You don't need to spend a lot - mine set me back $25. You'll need it to test the charging system (and a whole heap of other stuff on the bike in the future), which is the next test I will suggest once you get the bike idling :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well ill try to adjust it, gonna be a pain since the bike barley stays running long enough to tell what rpm its at

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
well ill try to adjust it, gonna be a pain since the bike barley stays running long enough to tell what rpm its at

Just to be clear, I am suggesting to turn the idle speed up. I am NOT suggesting to play with the TPS ;)

If turning the idle screw up doesn't fix it, the next thing would be to do a flow test of the fuel pump - especially if the PO said it ran fine using starter fluid. The fuel pump filters could be blocked, or the pump could be dead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
iv taken the pump out and cleaned the filter on top of it, it didnt need it but i went ahead and did it anyway. it seems to be putting out plenty of fuel. i just routed the fuel line into a water bottle to see how much fuel it puts out, it filled the bottle up in about 7 cycles.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The plugs should create a blue spark. Pink/orange sparks are a sign of a weak spark.

If your plugs are gapped correctly, either the battery is weak, the plugs are dead or the coils are shot.

You need to check the voltage on the battery to rule that out. That's the simplest test to do, and failing to do that will leave you chasing your tail looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the bike will run all day on starting fluid but i did notice that when it was about to die it had a noticable knock but onlywhen it was about to die.
how do i post a vid on here?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts