Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
03 suzuki gsxr600
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help needed ive done everthing possible to get it to go ie;read all the threads and watched the videos on youtube
like the kickstand switch to even the clutch adjustment any ideas would be greatfull

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

First thing is to clarify what is going on.

Is the bike shutting off when you put it into gear (electrically) or stalling out (clutch dragging). The difference is critical.

If it is shutting off electrically, it will shut off pretty smoothly, and if you wait a few seconds, "CHEC" will show up in the temp window.

If it is shutting off mechanically, the bike will try to jump forward with a pretty good clunk.

Which is it?

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
03 suzuki gsxr600
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Is the bike shutting off when you put it into gear (electrically) or stalling out (clutch dragging). The difference is critical.

If it is shutting off electrically, it will shut off pretty smoothly, and if you wait a few seconds, "CHEC" will show up in the temp window.

If it is shutting off mechanically, the bike will try to jump forward with a pretty good clunk.

Which is it?
Starts fine as soon as I put it into gear it cuts out I've done a loop on the main wire and no fault codes came up so I'm a bit lost where to look next

·
Registered
03 suzuki gsxr600
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Which is it?
With a clunk
I still like the kick stand switch.
How did you test it?
I first unplugged it still stalled then I lopped the wires still the same thing happened

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
I asked if "CHEC" shows up after a few seconds after it stops.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Try this; powered off, if you put the bike into 1st, then push it forward with the clutch pulled in, how easy or difficult is that to get it to roll forward?

We're just checking to see if the clutch is locked up, you see?

If all is OK, you should find there to be 'some' resistance, more than if it was in neutral, but still quite push-able.

·
Registered
2004 GSXR 600, 1992 GSXR 750, 1983 XN85 Turbo & some Euro bikes
196 Posts
I first unplugged it still stalled then I lopped the wires still the same thing happened
Ummmmm….why would that make a difference? You went from an incomplete circuit to an incomplete circuit.

Maybe try jumper the two wires and see if that makes a difference. Then you go from an incomplete circuit to a complete circuit.

·
Registered
03 suzuki gsxr600
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try this; powered off, if you put the bike into 1st, then push it forward with the clutch pulled in, how easy or difficult is that to get it to roll forward?

We're just checking to see if the clutch is locked up, you see?

If all is OK, you should find there to be 'some' resistance, more than if it was in neutral, but still quite push-able.
Tried it was hard begin with but seemed movable

·
Registered
176 Posts
Tried it was hard begin with but seemed movable
OK, so in theory then it is not stalling due to load because it's not normally too easy when cold so that sounds about right.

You said it drops into gear with a clunk, i.e. was not stalling electrically but stalls for some reason after engaging gear. Which is confusing, TBH, because AFAIK the bike brains does not take account of whether it is in gear so as to do something 'different' (i.e. turn off).

I'd suggest simply holding the revs a bit higher when engaging the gear, but I don't want you to overstress the box until we are sure if there is a clutch issue or not. Rather than that, is there a chance to do all of this on a rear paddock stand, if you can find one? Or in any way with the rear wheel off the ground? If you drop it into gear then, you'll find the rear wheel starts turning over (if it clunks, it means it is engaging while there is a small transmission of power to the wheel), then you'll get a chance to figure out exactly 'when' it stops, how long after the 'clunk'.

·
Registered
2004 GSXR 600, 1992 GSXR 750, 1983 XN85 Turbo & some Euro bikes
196 Posts
The bike should start in 1st gear if the kick stand is up.
Try starting the bike in 1st gear with the kick stand up.
It would. If the side stand switch worked. But as the OP disconnected it and it still shut down, he opted to just lop the wires off. 🙄

That changes nothing from the switch being disconnected. Now IF the OP were to connect the two ends of the pins in the connector and complete the circuit, the ECU would read the stand is up and might then not shut the engine down when 1st gear is selected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1. Kickstand switch. Check the connection. Also check that the metal tab is completely depressing the tab on the switch in all the way. (I’ve seen where they were bent and then the will not push the tab/button all the way in)

2. Check the clutch lever switch. Unplug and plug the wires back in.

3. Adjust clutch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts