Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey community 08 liter was stolen recently and was my baby. Customised by me as well as paint. No full coverage. Sucks. Well I have an opportunity to pick up an 04 liter. 20k miles very clean and garage kept. Any body have pros and cons about the 04 I should know about the price is right at 3,000 blue books higher can someone share their experience or knowledge on the 04. Much appreciated for insight.

·
Super Moderator
9,206 Posts
Bummer about your bike being stolen.

I've not owned one but my reading leads me to believe there were very significant improvements to the 1k for the 05/06 generation. However, depending on what you are looking to do with the bike, the 04/05 generation is good also.

I'm surprised some 1k guys have not chimed in yet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey community 08 liter was stolen recently and was my baby. Customised by me as well as paint. No full coverage. Sucks. Well I have an opportunity to pick up an 04 liter. 20k miles very clean and garage kept. Any body have pros and cons about the 04 I should know about the price is right at 3,000 blue books higher can someone share their experience or knowledge on the 04. Much appreciated for insight.
Yeah you were helping me on my fuel issues for the last 9 months. I finally got it running like a bat out hell no sputtering at 8,000 or wide open. I keep getting sick to my stomach when I think about it. And how I shouldnt have to be looking at another bike. I'm so pissed. Wish I could find those M.Fs I put so much work and money into her. I'm not sure if i will keep the 04 for a bit and try to put some cash away to get another 08 or keep the 04. Guess i will have to see how it rides if i get it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
287 Posts
They’re great bikes. I have a 03 with 160k on it. Might be the most bullet proof bike I’ve ever owned!
I thought the 1990 kawi zx10 had that prize at 100k miles on it.

if the bike checks out that’s a deal imo

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I picked it up and I am finding 1 problem so far. I have been reading post and apparently alot of people have had the same problem with the 05-06s. Mostly but saw a few with the 04 1000 . I have been riding about 40+ yrs. And never have experienced what I have on this bike. Granted I have barely rode it so not use to it yet especially the clutch. I go to take of from dead stop and I will go to let the clutch out and give it gas and it makes some crazy weird noises and will stall. You have to let out the clutch slowly and stay of the throttle until your lever is almost all the way before you can roll on the gas. I feel and look like I never rode before. A bit scary if you decide to roll off hot in front of a car and you then stall.maybe some one can help. So far post have said you have to replace 1 of the inner washers a concave one. Another said drill holes through the basket and that helps . Another said Brock Davidson has a mod kit that will fix it. Anyone know for sure ?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I just read you got the K4.

RR, if you could find a decent running K5/K6- IMHO, bettet then your K8, or this K4.

YMMV

·
SuperMod of the North
26,680 Posts
This is a good video made by a member here named Busrider. Bus was a drag racer so clutches were a thing. I'd be inspecting and adjusting before throwing parts in it.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Yeah I picked it up and I am finding 1 problem so far. I have been reading post and apparently alot of people have had the same problem with the 05-06s. Mostly but saw a few with the 04 1000 . I have been riding about 40+ yrs. And never have experienced what I have on this bike. Granted I have barely rode it so not use to it yet especially the clutch. I go to take of from dead stop and I will go to let the clutch out and give it gas and it makes some crazy weird noises and will stall. You have to let out the clutch slowly and stay of the throttle until your lever is almost all the way before you can roll on the gas. I feel and look like I never rode before. A bit scary if you decide to roll off hot in front of a car and you then stall.maybe some one can help. So far post have said you have to replace 1 of the inner washers a concave one. Another said drill holes through the basket and that helps . Another said Brock Davidson has a mod kit that will fix it. Anyone know for sure ?
Have you seen that thread on the K5/6 clutches?
I recenrtly changed just the concave washer thing, and WOW, I wish I would have done it when I got it! Night and day difference.
After researching- I just changed the washer, didn't take off, or drill the basket. works excellent!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah but I already bought it price was right. My 08 was my only transportation and I didn't have full coverage. And he is letting me make payments to help out my situation. I can make it look even better with a little of my magic and labor. It blue booked at 5,190. Hopefully I get financially in a better position. And sell it towards a better year. I had my 08 looking like show room bike or a show bike. But couldn't afford full coverage. Now that it's gone my landlords are going to pour concrete and make available parking for me off of the street. Go figure. I have told them for a year that I have lived here it's going to get stolen on the street. Kills me

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah got it last night. Today is the day to do adjustments and check it out with day light.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah but I already bought it price was right. My 08 was my only transportation and I didn't have full coverage. And he is letting me make payments to help out my situation. I can make it look even better with a little of my magic and labor. It blue booked at 5,190. Hopefully I get financially in a better position. And sell it towards a better year. I had my 08 looking like show room bike or a show bike. But couldn't afford full coverage. Now that it's gone my landlords are going to pour concrete and make available parking for me off of the street. Go figure. I have told them for a year that I have lived here it's going to get stolen on the street. Kills me
I want them to let me put some eyelets in when the pour concrete so I have something good to lock up to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recenrtly changed just the concave washer thing, and WOW, I wish I would have done it when I got it! Night and day difference.
After researching- I just changed the washer, didn't take off, or drill the basket. works excellent!
Yeah that's what some of the post I researched was describing. Just making sure if the adjusting didn't work what the next step would be.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After researching- I just changed the washer, didn't take off you talking ab, or drill the basket. works excellent!
Thanks for the info. Are you talking about the spring washer. If so did you get one for your year and for a 1000 or did you put an 750 one in

·
Registered
413 Posts
K5/K6 clutch issues, see Clutch mod.unlocked & fixed.pdf here. All you need to do is change the spring washer. The other stuff, drilling & removal, is not required.

I vaguely recall that there's some sort of clutch issue with K1/K2 that is fixed with a Kawasaki part. But I've forgotten the specifics and don't know if it had anything to do with K3/K4.

In general Brock Davidson is an excellent source of information. He's forgotten more about clutches than most of us know. But watch out that any of his advice is for road use and not for drag racing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts