Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Am looking at buying a nearly new second hand bike and am considering the gsxr6 and the cbr rr + wondering if anyone can give me any thoughts on gixxer ownership, running costs, maintenance etc.

I'm currently running a '98 Honda CBR 600FW with about 14k miles on it. The thing is a typical Honda in that it is totally reliable + easy on the servicing. Even after a couple of track days my oil is perfectly clear and the brakes are totally fade free. Loving bikes but not having a lot of time for maintenance, that works pretty well for me, but its not the most exciting bike in the world.

So the CBR RR is appealing cos I'm guessing it will have the same Honda reliability, but with a bit more excitement.

That said, the GSXR seems to edge the Honda in magazine road tests over here (I'm in the UK) and I'm quite tempted, but a little concerned about rumours that GSXR build quality isn't up to Honda standards (maybe that's the older bikes) and have more extensive servicing requirements (valve adjustments etc).

Can any GSXR owners give me their thoughts on this? Whichever bike I get I will probably keep for around 3 years and probably clock up 12-15k miles on.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
based on my experience with the gsxr...'04 600....7700 miles since bought new in 6/04.
has had 3 oil changes and thats it...no other problems what-so-ever

i think its gonna come down to which bike you feel better on.

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
Ok, first off I have experience on both bikes, hondas and suzukis. They both are just as reliable as the other. I've owned an F4i, and two gsxr's. My buddy has worked in a honda shop and I've worked at a suzuki shop. You aren't really gaining any reliability with honda. and their maintnance is going to be about the same. I've got a 04 gsxr 1000 right now, and bought it last april and put 14k miles on it before winter got here and I couldn't ride any more. Suzukis are a lot easier to work on if you have to do any maintenance.
Just my opinion but I'm a suzuki man myself.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Suzukis are a TON more mechanic freindly, from changing plugs to rebuilding trannies......everything about them is easier to get to. Yammies are probably the biggest pain in the ass, and also the least reliable in my book.

I LOVE gixxers, and have worked on every make and model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.