Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
The Bestest Racer
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nope, the 01-03 750 uses a single contact switch, that only controls the starter.

Things to check for headlights not working: Headlights witch (left pod), relays, fuses, and wiring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was having this issue.
It seems lots of issues are in this starter. There was a lot of melting of plastic causing my switch to be melted into it.

I got my switch off and I noticed a wire wasn't connected. My question is, how do I get the left wire connected like the right one.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The wire is supposed to be soldered into the terminal in the switch block. If you do not have a nice hot soldering iron to do it quickly then the heat will transfer into the plastic and melt the block.

The pic is not good enough resolution to see if it is damaged beyond repair.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The wire is supposed to be soldered into the terminal in the switch block. If you do not have a nice hot soldering iron to do it quickly then the heat will transfer into the plastic and melt the block.

The pic is not good enough resolution to see if it is damaged beyond repair.
That is kind of what I assumed. Thank you for the response. Sorry for the shit resolution lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
turning over but wont start

my 2007 750 wont start, it turns over but something seems to be keeping it from getting fuel and spark. is there some kind of safety switch malfunction or wiring that would cause this?

·
MPG mod
7,420 Posts
Plenty. Tip over switch, kick stand switch, clutch position switch. Take your pick.

If you want start a new thread and post specifics in there. Tech and performance section. Most people probably wouldn't catch this post.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
so if i recondition the starter switch this should solve my problem of the headlight not working? Right now my headlight does not come on when i turn the bike on and the rpm gauge does not move. The signals don't work and my tail light is on at all times as if i were pressing the brake.

·
The Bestest Racer
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
so if i recondition the starter switch this should solve my problem of the headlight not working? Right now my headlight does not come on when i turn the bike on and the rpm gauge does not move. The signals don't work and my tail light is on at all times as if i were pressing the brake.
Sounds like you have much bigger problems. The only thing the starter switch does when depressed is: Turns off the headlight, and initiates the starter. Once the switch is released, it reconnects the headlight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay I have been having a similar problem with My k8 GSXR 1000.
I washed her yesterday she drove and rode fine I get home park for about an hour. come back out and go to fire her up but notice that the HL (which is an HID) is trying to turn on but will shut off.. And another problem I hear is that now my fuel pump primes but wont stop.. it keeps priming.. normally its just for a few seconds but now it just keeps buzzing bike starts and runs fine still just NO HL and the Fuel pump stays priming when bike is off and key towards ON.. HELP!! could this be my simple fix?:0001136745-huh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so I'm an idiot lets get that out of the way. Just bought my 2013 GSXR 600 2 weeks ago, pulling out of my driveway and layed it down on the left side. The "FI" light did not turn on. I picked the bike back up, tried to start it. The lights all came on once I turned the key into ignition. The bike check kicked in once I flipped the switch. BUT, when I pull the clutch in, and try to start up the bike, the headlight switched off and the bike Will Not start. The bike is Brand New and when I layed it down it was not a hard fall at all! Please help! Stuck stranded at a buddies and don't want to have it towed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just happened to stumble upon this site ! Thank goodness as this exact thing just happened to me ao I am hoping this is the problem ! Whoever made the post thanks a ton ! Wish me luck ! Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've seen a bunch of threads recently about bikes not starting consistently, the headlight going in/out, etc. Most of the threads mention a combination or variation of the two problems, and the fix is to replace the right handlebar switch pod. You can recondition the starter switch for free.

Around 2004, Suzuki changed the design of the starter button. Instead of a single contact switch, its now a slider contact switch which disengages the headlight while starting, and reconnects it when the starter button is out. These new style switches are prone to corrosion build up, and therefore faulty operation.

I recently converted my 2001 front end to a 2006 front suspension, and included in that was some electrical work to switch to the newer style electrical controls on the clip ons. When doing the right pod, I noticed the headlight and starter wires were giving me weird numbers, and not working all the time, so I took it apart.

Once you get the pod off the bike, it'll look like so:

Pull the little black spacer / alignment piece out, and
Unscrew the plastic cover on top of the starter switch

Now you can unscrew the starter button and pull it out.

Starter switch is out

Now pop the two halves apart with a small screwdriver.

Here are the contacts that need to be cleaned. Sorry for the crappy picture, but if you look closely you can see 4 black lines, one on each contact. This is the corrosion build up. Lightly sand the contacts with a high grit sand paper.

All clean and shiny. Now apply a very thin layer of dielectric grease to the contacts. Ready to clean the other half.

Carefully pop the spring and contact portion out of the starter button, and run the contacts across the sand paper. Try to vary the angle slightly to cover more of the round contacts.

Reassemble. As soon as I got the pod back together, the starter button was reading perfect continuity and controlling the starter and headlight beautifully.

• Mine is doing the same thing

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this problem and I bought a brand new starter switch and put it on.All was well. Well about a week later I go to back out of my drive way and I had turned to handle bars all the way to my right(pulled right side towards me) and the entire bike just dies, no power to bike at all no headlight no gage cluster, nothing. I have NO CLUe what has caused this, I replaced all of the fuses in hopes that it was simple and that I could have a easy fix but that didn't work either, any ideas here?
did you check your kickstand turn signal relay? I was replacing starter switches fuses ignition all kinds of s*** bypass the kickstand sensor mine ended up being that damn relay. Mine is kind of up by where they are box is

21 - 34 of 34 Posts