Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I picked this bike up for stupid cheap, the engine would only turn 45% thought it was hitting valves, I took the head off everything is nice and tight so when I got to put the cams in I’m noticing at tdc with the intake cam on #3 the intake valves get pushed straight down into the top of my piston from everywhere I read the intake should be at 3 and exhaust should be at 2 both at 12 o’clock does anyone know what the hell is going on? I’m guessing this was the issue I had when I first got the bike because it’s doing the same thing it’s in time but not in time??? Any help would really be appreciated thanks

·
Administrator
11,217 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What model gsxr? And do you have the service manual and are following that?

Besides the marks, have you confirmed #1 is actually at TDC? I usually poke something down the spark plug hole to confirm.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Administrator
11,217 Posts
This for the 600/750

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum.

What model gsxr? And do you have the service manual and are following that?

Besides the marks, have you confirmed #1 is actually at TDC? I usually poke something down the spark plug hole to confirm.
Yes it at tdc I have a hanger in it plus I am lined up at the crankshaft notch for it and no I do not have the manual for it it’s a 05 gsxr 600

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
3,293 Posts
I'm not sure if these are an interference design or not. Are you sure you don't have a bent valve? Pull the cams and rotate it by hand. Should spin with no hard interference.

·
Administrator
11,217 Posts
Yes it at tdc I have a hanger in it plus I am lined up at the crankshaft notch for it and no I do not have the manual for it it’s a 05 gsxr 600
Check your PM.

Careful with steel stuff pushed into the cylinder, a wood or plastic dowel has less chance of scratching something.

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
3,293 Posts
Either a valve is bent, or it's timed wrong. Once you have the timing set, are you reinstalling the tensioner and letting the system come under tension before you turn it? After you spin it over 2 turns, are the timing marks still lined up?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts