Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, new here so bare with me please. Also, I've read through probably 20 different threads that are close to my issue but none identical.

So, I'll preface with that I'm not getting any codes/faults showing up on the cluster. Bike has 8,500 miles on it- 1,000 of those have been since Aug 24th when I bought the bike. As far as I know the bike is bone stock performance wise.

So this morning during my 15 minute commute at freeway speeds, about 3 or 4 different times, the bike would seemingly lose all engine power for just a split second, as if I released the throttle and then immediately got back on it. Never lost anything electrical; gauges didn't flicker, no faults, literally no indication of any problem other than sudden deceleration in conjunction with the sound of the engine's hiccup.

My first thought was fuel delivery, possibly the pump cutting out but the more I started thinking about it, and as short and quick as it would cut out, I started thinking fuel maybe wouldn't be so abrupt. Anyone have experience with such symptoms? Should I still start with a fuel flow/pressure test or should I skip that and start testing somewhere else?

In advance, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
771 Posts
How often does this happen? Every 5 miles? 50 miles? only today so far? Any changes made? Power commander? slip-on? Anything? Just a few questions to help understand the problem clearly, to better help you pinpoint the issue...
Going from your description, I might think a shorted wire. Maybe fire up the bike, and start wiggling some wires around. Check all of your harness plugs for corrosion. While you have them apart to check, get a little dielectric grease in there to keep them from corroding in the future...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How often does this happen? Every 5 miles? 50 miles? only today so far? Any changes made? Power commander? slip-on? Anything? Just a few questions to help understand the problem clearly, to better help you pinpoint the issue...
Going from your description, I might think a shorted wire. Maybe fire up the bike, and start wiggling some wires around. Check all of your harness plugs for corrosion. While you have them apart to check, get a little dielectric grease in there to keep them from corroding in the future...
The intervals were completely at random and I can't say were associated with any throttle adjustments. Each time I was cruising at a constant speed. It's just happened today, no mods and stock exhaust. I always inspect wires/connections that I come across when working on a vehicle so by default that will be done as I start to pull things off to troubleshoot.

·
Premium Member
8,565 Posts
Sounds like a side stand safety switch not being held closed.

Try lubricating the side stand pivot bolt, make sure the two springs are both there and holding the side stand up firmly.

·
Registered
771 Posts
^^^ Yeah, what he said... ^^^ If it's that quick of a glitch, it may be very momentarily opening the switch...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sounds like a side stand safety switch not being held closed.

Try lubricating the side stand pivot bolt, make sure the two springs are both there and holding the side stand up firmly.

Roger that, will double check at lunch. What's the best way to bypass that (for the day) just to rule it out?

^^^ Yeah, what he said... ^^^ If it's that quick of a glitch, it may be very momentarily opening the switch...
Makes sense, the freeways in southern california are about as smooth as a cobble stone road from midieval Rome.

·
Registered
771 Posts
You could take a bungee cord, and hook the stand up. It's a little easier that ziptieing it up, as that is a pain to undo while holding the bike up. If it doesn't cut out at all with it tied up, likely your issue. Sounds like you rode it to work? Did it cut out at all?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could take a bungee cord, and hook the stand up. It's a little easier that ziptieing it up, as that is a pain to undo while holding the bike up. If it doesn't cut out at all with it tied up, likely your issue. Sounds like you rode it to work? Did it cut out at all?

No issues this morning but I never got up to freeway speeds or maintained a constant rpm or speed like I had yesterday when it seemed to want act up.

I've been paying extreme attention to how it feels (overall) and every noise it makes. While this could all be in my head, it does 'feel' like it's slightly low on power and even seems to have the slightest bit of a deeper, bogged down, tone. However, if I get on it, it will accelerate but since I've never really pushed it's acceleration limits, I don't have a reliable reference to how fast it should feel, if that makes sense.

(The stand looks okay but I won't know for sure until I can strap something the stand or sensor.)

Thanks again for the tips guys, really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had this same problem earlier this year. Ended up bypassing the side stand switch (this required removing a resistor from the switch and soldering it) but that didn't fix it ( and so was never the problem). Threw a cheap automotive replacement ground cable on top of the factory ground cable and problem solved.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You could test the tps sensor for dead spots with a ohms meter. You say your bike is acting up at higher speeds but did not mention a specific rpm. Tps could be the issue . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts