Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a rummor that the 2006 Yamaha R1 is going to be a 2 wheel drive bike...sounds like a load of crap to me. just wondering if anyone can confirm this one way or another.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I can't confirm it, but I have read of testing done with two wheel drive R1's, the tests they did on them showed that they were a second faster around in the track in the rain, but that was about the only advantage. I don't think they would come out with that in production, but anything is possible now.

·
Registered
600 Posts
skibum91 said:
I can't confirm it, but I have read of testing done with two wheel drive R1's, the tests they did on them showed that they were a second faster around in the track in the rain, but that was about the only advantage. I don't think they would come out with that in production, but anything is possible now.
Husquavarna sp? i know makes a 2wd dirtbike...or atleast they did...

but IMO its just more parts to break, then are actaully use full...how many people race in the rain??? dirt yes...street..pointless

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's possible,
this is already used by some of Yamaha's off road bikes.

it works by hydrolics. An oil line is run to the front axle, which has a drive system. Its not like it will give as much traction as the rear but it will make up for the lost power when a rear wheel starts to drift :headscrat

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
yeah i've seen it on dirtbikes and its going to be mass produced for off-road pretty soon (yamaha/honda are well into R&D/prototypes)...yamaha actually already has a dirtbike available with the 2wd system, but i wouldnt think they'd try it on a high-output bike like the R1, i hear the parts break frequently on just the 250's

on a side note, there's another rumor of the new busas coming with 1500cc's....hmmmm

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The yamaha Dakar team bikes had a hydraulic 2WD system on them, and performed rather well. There is a guy who builds MECHANICAL 2WD systems that work REALLY well, I think his initial prototype is on a CRF450.

It could be pretty cool, but from what I have heard it takes ALOT of getting used to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thats really sweet. I wonder when the first actual prototype was thought of and drawn up. because the basic technology has really been around since the 70s at least if not longer. i know there was old clunky 2wd 2 wheeled stuff years back( i think a company called rokon maybe made something). Just now in somewhat recent years someone decided to run the front wheel hydraulically. I dunno how efficient it would be on an r1........ but i still thinks its cool shit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.