Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted about my GSXR600 not starting after a ride I was advised to measure at the battery at engine off, idle, and 5krpm, I did so I currently have
12.7v with engine off
14.4v at idle
14.3v @5krpm
I thought the volts were suppose to go up to more like 15v revving..? Is the why i can’t get it re started after a ride? Any advise on what to check next or what needs repaired/replaced.. please help

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
Those numbers are fine. The spec at 5k is 14.0 -15.5 volts but almost all I've checked is right around 14.3 like your bike. Your charging system is working fine.

One other check is to measure the battery voltage while you are cranking the bike. It should stay above 10.5 volts.

12.7 resting battery voltage is OK, but you also need to check how it does with a load.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks John will test cranking voltage, also how would I test under load and around what range should it be at? You thinking maybe it’s the starter cause it not to restart?

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
Checking the battery voltage while you are cranking the bike is a quick and dirty load test. The voltage should stay above 10.5 volts.

A battery can be charged with a good resting voltage but if it is sulfated, the the voltage will drop right down when a load is put on it.

I'm not exactly sure what your starter cranking issue is but the starter motors are pretty robust and don't fail often. The more common causes are weak batteries, bad or loose battery connections, a loose wire connection at the starter or a bad ground from the battery to the engine/frame.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The battery is brand new and I charged it fully it starts the bike fine just won’t restart after riding it for long period. It seems when it is restarted the battery gets drained cause when I take it back to my garage the battery charge is low even though when I left the garage it was fully charged. The guy before me put body glow lights in they arnt connected to battery but the wires are exposed in the battery compartment you think it could be shorting while riding and draining the battery?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or maybe a ignition relay going bad when getting it hot while riding causing it not to restart the bike once shut off..?

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
So you have yet to describe what the problem is in this thread.

Specifically what is the bike doing/not doing and when?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem is once the bike has been rode a few miles if the engine is cut off it will not start back up try’s to crank slowly but won’t start once battery is charged back up it starts right up

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
However if I start the bike and don’t ride it and just shut it back off it will start up again. Example : The other day I killed it down the street from home after riding around town and then bike would not start back up

·
Registered
542 Posts
U may have a short somewhere draining the battery , I did not see you post your voltage of your battery during a time period of the bike not starting, I only mention that bc heat and electrical components such as switches, starter motors, soilenoids etc are a terrible mix I’ve seen this happen where a component works cold but won’t work warm or hot bc something like a motor or a switch is on its last leg. It’s also possible to have a new battery and get a bad one.... id like more info but I hope I have u a few things to check out

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I didn’t check the actual voltage after that happened only know it was low cause I put it on my charger when I got home and that’s what the status was, and yes you’ve been very helpful i appreciate you much! I’m going to check voltage cranking and if it happens again this weekend I’ll check actual voltage at the battery after it won’t start. Just wanna be able to ride it reliably without having to worry about it not starting after I turn it off. I got lucky last time and was just right down the street from my house..

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah I didn’t check the actual voltage after that happened only know it was low cause I put it on my charger when I got home and that’s what the status was, and yes you’ve been very helpful i appreciate you much! I’m going to check voltage cranking and if it happens again this weekend I’ll check actual voltage at the battery after it won’t start. Just wanna be able to ride it reliably without having to worry about it not starting after I turn it off. I got lucky last time and was just right down the street from my house..

It is possible that you got a bad battery. I hope you bought a Shorai and not some cheapo battery.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s not a Shorai payed around 100$ at auto parts store that theyre system recommended for my bike, just confuses me cause seems like it only happens when it’s hot

·
Registered
500 Posts
There are plenty of things that can cause this, such as bad grounds or your stator cover having the wrong gasket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stator cover wrong gasket? How would that cause it.. this did start happening after I took the stator cover off to fix leaks I have oem gasket shipping now

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
So your voltages when running are looking good @14.3V yet you say the battery seems discharged when you hook it up to a charger in your garage after a ride. This doesn’t add up to me.

What happens if you just let the bike cool down after it fails to restart when hot (don’t recharge battery after ride)? Does it still crank slowly (bad battery or current leak) or does it start? Do you hear any whining/whistling from the stator when engine is cold or hot?

Have you checked the battery voltage after a ride?

To rule out shorting in the wiring, It might be worth doing a leak down current check too. Disconnect negative terminal from the battery, turn ignition off, connect multimeter between the removed lead and the battery and put the meter in DC amp mode. With ignition off, should be 3mA drain or less. Measure the current with ignition on too with kill switch in run position, but do not try and start the bike or you’ll probably destroy your multimeter. With the ignition on, you should see a higher reading that drops once the fuel pump has primed etc. post up what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So your voltages when running are looking good @14.3V yet you say the battery seems discharged when you hook it up to a charger in your garage after a ride. This doesn’t add up to me.

What happens if you just let the bike cool down after it fails to restart when hot (don’t recharge battery after ride)? Does it still crank slowly (bad battery or current leak) or does it start? Do you hear any whining/whistling from the stator when engine is cold or hot?

Have you checked the battery voltage after a ride?

To rule out shorting in the wiring, It might be worth doing a leak down current check too. Disconnect negative terminal from the battery, turn ignition off, connect multimeter between the removed lead and the battery and put the meter in DC amp mode. With ignition off, should be 3mA drain or less. Measure the current with ignition on too with kill switch in run position, but do not try and start the bike or you’ll probably destroy your multimeter. With the ignition on, you should see a higher reading that drops once the fuel pump has primed etc. post up what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The battery charger said it was low after it happened and wouldn’t start Also once I got it home after walking it down the street it wouldn’t start either so I gave it one to cool I suppose. It would crank for a few seconds until it was barely turning over the engine then stopped I charge it up and starts up just fine

·
Registered
500 Posts
Stator cover wrong gasket? How would that cause it.. this did start happening after I took the stator cover off to fix leaks I have oem gasket shipping now
Because the cover and stator are designed to work with a very specific clearance tolerance that the OEM gasket provides and that RTV does not. When it gets hot it can bind, and this will result in your bike exhibiting the exact symptoms you're describing. When you put in the new gasket, you may even see some rub marks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Because the cover and stator are designed to work with a very specific clearance tolerance that the OEM gasket provides and that RTV does not. When it gets hot it can bind, and this will result in your bike exhibiting the exact symptoms you're describing. When you put in the new gasket, you may even see some rub marks
i feel like this could be it. the gasket I got was very cheap along with cover.. although the new oem gasket won’t be here till next week does this cause damage to the engine, stater etc? I was wanting to ride it before next week

1 - 20 of 39 Posts