Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm at a loss of what to do. Bike will shut off if u touch the kick stand "sometimes". The green Neutral light on the instrument cluster disappears as well at the same time. So I thought it was the kickstand sensor, just replaced it, still does the same thing.

Checked connection of sensor plugs etc - no issues there.

Thought it could maybe be the gear selector sensor/switch - if it was that it would do it in more than JUST Neutral.

Anybody have any idea's on what it could be?

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by "touch the kick stand"?

You probably know that the bike will shut off if the bike is not in neutral AND the kick stand is not fully pressing the safety switch.

If the green neutral light is not on, the bike thinks it is gear.
(It uses the same ground to turn on the light and enable the safety interlock solenoid.)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't understand what you mean by "touch the kick stand"?

You probably know that the bike will shut off if the bike is not in neutral AND the kick stand is not fully pressing the safety switch.

If the green neutral light is not on, the bike thinks it is gear.
(It uses the same ground to turn on the light and enable the safety interlock solenoid.)
if im at a stop sign or red light etc - if I bump the kick stand (when obviously in neutral) it will sometimes shut off & the green N on the instrument cluster will disappear. I thought it was the kick stand sensor which I just replaced today - still does the same thing. I also tightened the kick stand itself thinking it had a lil too much play - still no luck.

So you stating I should probably check the grounding on the sensor? and or the solenoid?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Yes check the ground wire/s. It needs the side stand switch and the neutral switch ground wires to be operative or the relay wont stay in and the bike will shut down. This should include making sure the neutral switch is working correctly.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Sorry to be so detailed but it is important to know exactly what it is doing to figure out if it is GPS, bad ground or the side stand relay diodes.

1. The bike is running, in neutral and the side stand is up.
2. The neutral (green) light is on.
3. You lower the side stand and:
a. The bike stops and,
b. the neutral/green light goes off.

This does this consistently, every time.

Am I understanding this properly?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry to be so detailed but it is important to know exactly what it is doing to figure out if it is GPS, bad ground or the side stand relay diodes.

1. The bike is running, in neutral and the side stand is up.
2. The neutral (green) light is on.
3. You lower the side stand and:
a. The bike stops and,
b. the neutral/green light goes off.

This does this consistently, every time.

Am I understanding this properly?
sorry - didn't get email notification that u commented, but what happens 75% of the time is when the side stand is up, even in neutral w green N on instrument cluster on...of u touch the kick stand or go to put it down (while in neutral) bike thinks its in gear and shuts down. Sometimes if I touch the kick stand sensor w my finger you'll here the fuel pump kick on and make the noise it does & then it let's me start. Other times it won't. I'll have to put the kick stand up & down a few times b4 the fuel pump re-fires.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
*edited*

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Does the neutral/green light go out when this happens even though the bike is still in neutral?

Also, did you replace the side stand switch with a new or used part?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the neutral/green light go out when this happens even though the bike is still in neutral? Yes sir

Also, did you replace the side stand switch with a new or used part? Used, but I highly doubt the used (OEM and mint condition) switch is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you replace the kickstand spring as well? Sounds like it lost some tension.
I thought about that, but it's not rusted and seems to have good tension, ill try to order and OEM one, just to make sure. I doubt it would cost much.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Did you get this fixed?

I've been mulling this over for a few days, but can't come up with single problem that explains your symptoms. Your symptoms suggest possibly two problems.

I'm leaning towards the diodes in the side stand relay failed.

If you haven't got it solved, I have some checks I can suggest.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you get this fixed?

I've been mulling this over for a few days, but can't come up with single problem that explains your symptoms. Your symptoms suggest possibly two problems.

I'm leaning towards the diodes in the side stand relay failed.

If you haven't got it solved, I have some checks I can suggest.
Nope issue still persists. I am going to clean the GPS Saturday- who knows that could possible be it. What are your suggestions? Where are the diodes located?

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Here are my thoughts.

If the kill switch is in "run", the bike will always run when the side stand is up and the kickstand switch is closed providing a ground to the side stand relay via the Green wire. Irregardless of the GPS.
(the side stand relay is just below the fuse box in the diagram)

You said that sometimes the kickstand was raised and that the fuel pump would cycle and sometimes not. I'm guessing this might be because sometimes it was in neutral and sometimes not.

Here is a side stand test:
1. Ignition on
2. Kill switch to run. Do not start the bike.
3. Put bike in gear (any gear, just not neutral)
4. Put the side stand up.
You should hear the fuel pump cycle for a couple of seconds and the "CHEC" should disappear from the cluster temp window after a second or so.
5. Put the side stand down.
After a second or so "CHEC" should appear in the temp window.

Repeat this several times and make sure it does these things every time, consistently. If not, you have a bad side stand switch, connection, wiring or side stand relay.

Let me know and we can narrow it down.

For the GPS switch check. Just turn on the ignition and shift from neutral to 1st to neutral to 2nd to neutral and make sure the neutral light comes on every time you go to neutral, consistently.

What is throwing me is why the Neutral light goes out when the bike is in neutral, side stand is lowered and the bike dies.

Again I'm leaning towards the side stand relay diodes.

Make sure you have a service manual for you bike.
Wiring diagram for the bike is in the back.
Side stand switch and relay check is in the electrical section.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here are my thoughts.

If the kill switch is in "run", the bike will always run when the side stand is up and the kickstand switch is closed providing a ground to the side stand relay via the Green wire. Irregardless of the GPS.
(the side stand relay is just below the fuse box in the diagram)

You said that sometimes the kickstand was raised and that the fuel pump would cycle and sometimes not. I'm guessing this might be because sometimes it was in neutral and sometimes not.

Here is a side stand test:
1. Ignition on
2. Kill switch to run. Do not start the bike.
3. Put bike in gear (any gear, just not neutral)
4. Put the side stand up.
You should hear the fuel pump cycle for a couple of seconds and the "CHEC" should disappear from the cluster temp window after a second or so.
5. Put the side stand down.
After a second or so "CHEC" should appear in the temp window.

Repeat this several times and make sure it does these things every time, consistently. If not, you have a bad side stand switch, connection, wiring or side stand relay.

Let me know and we can narrow it down.

For the GPS switch check. Just turn on the ignition and shift from neutral to 1st to neutral to 2nd to neutral and make sure the neutral light comes on every time you go to neutral, consistently.

What is throwing me is why the Neutral light goes out when the bike is in neutral, side stand is lowered and the bike dies.

Again I'm leaning towards the side stand relay diodes.

Make sure you have a service manual for you bike.
Wiring diagram for the bike is in the back.
Side stand switch and relay check is in the electrical section.
Ill be doing this over the weekend, also... the " side stand relay diodes"...where would they be located? I have a PDF of the service manual and will take a look when I get home. Lastly, I have a friend who has the exact same year GSXR 750 - he's going to come over and im going to use his GPS (to try and rule it out) also his kick stand sensor (even thou i just replaced ith w a mint condition one) to rule that out as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my same year, same bike does this too.

1.kickstand up
2. neutral
3. start
4. kickstand down
5. neutral light off
6. bike dies

i dont want to jack the post but i'm definitely interested in how you fix it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my same year, same bike does this too.

1.kickstand up
2. neutral
3. start
4. kickstand down
5. neutral light off
6. bike dies

i dont want to jack the post but i'm definitely interested in how you fix it.
I'm working on it tomorrow literally - from what I've been hearing it might be a loose ground wire, but who knows!?!?!?:0001136745-huh:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts