Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Usually the gasket is built into the filter. Are you sure the gasket your talking about isnt left there from the old filter? Iv never had a problem with an oil filter gasket, there usually pretty firmly mounted to the filter with no chance of slipping out when you tighten it. Kinda sounds like your old gasket got stuck to the motor and now your trying to install the new filter over it. You may already know this but if you rub a little oil around the gasket on the filter before you install it, it helps keep it from cooking onto the engine and makes it come right off next time you change your oil.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually the gasket is built into the filter. Are you sure the gasket your talking about isnt left there from the old filter? Iv never had a problem with an oil filter gasket, there usually pretty firmly mounted to the filter with no chance of slipping out when you tighten it. Kinda sounds like your old gasket got stuck to the motor and now your trying to install the new filter over it. You may already know this but if you rub a little oil around the gasket on the filter before you install it, it helps keep it from cooking onto the engine and makes it come right off next time you change your oil.
ima go check

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YATZEEEE thanks bro thats exactly what it was!! the old one was left on there

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
That's the single biggest cause of oil filter leaks. Always be sure the sealing surface is clean and lightly oil the gasket on the new filter before installing the new filter.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
YATZEEEE thanks bro thats exactly what it was!! the old one was left on there
I think that has to happen to everyone once. I did that summer of '85, 24 years ago. I did a full rebuild on a small block Chev. I can't count how many times I rolled that thing over on the stand during assembly and the whole time I never noticed the gasket was just sitting in there. So the next morning I fire up the fresh motor and set the rpm to 2500 for primary break in. I walked into the garage to grab something and when I turned around there was oil flying all over the bottom. It looked like a waterfall. I about shit. Luckily I caught it fast enough and didn't totally dry it out. Sure enough, stacked gaskets and the pressure blew one out on the side directly into the flywheel. And still to this day whenever I swap one I check twice to make sure the old gasket is still in the old filter.

·
Registered
552 Posts
No prob, glad to hear it was an easy fix. If you didnt do it this time... Make sure next time you change the oil filter, rub a little oil over the new gasket before you screw the new filter on, it will help keep the gasket from sticking when you take the filter off next time. Sometimes if you dont do that step the gasket can actually cook to the mating surface on the engine, and youll have a lota fun getting the cooked gasket cleaned off the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.