Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at changing my triples to change my trail number. Stock is 97. What do you guys suggest? I'm thinking 101-102

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
Welcome.

I can't help you with the answer but I'm in for the comments.

What are you trying to accomplish? More stability for drag racing?

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
SuperMod of the North
28,196 Posts
Same here John, I have no useable experience with this. It sounds like a @billv question or Maybe Chuckster or Jet.

Assuming you realize I just stated I don’t have experience here I’ll ask some questions that may or may not muddy the water.

Isn’t trail determined to some extent by rake? I thought rake was determined by the angle of the head stock.

The other factor I thought affected rake was the distance the axle was above the bottom of the forks - like you see on 60’s choppers.

Theoretically shouldn’t lengthening the forks tip the front up and provide a degree or two more rake? You may get a few millimetres more trail??

I have no idea. I’ll sit down with my pop corn amd watch with John.

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
I have some trick triples for my sumo that have adjustable trail. Shorten the trail for tight courses, lengthen it for faster, more open corners (more stable). I'm curious what his goal is.

Everything else staying the same, pushing the forks forward increases trail. Changing rake or even bike attitude will affect trail. I see it on my DR when I'm descending on tight corners. The front is very compressed and the bike turns like a bandit.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,196 Posts
Yeah. I wondered if pushing the fork tubes down flush with the triples would accomplish enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah. Looking at a set of attack triples and wondering what I should get. I ride a track that has a bit of everything. A few tight corners. Long sweepers. I'm new with this bike. I see where you are supposed to get these bikes up. I've dropped the forks in the triples. Maybe I'm over thinking this and should just ride it.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,196 Posts
I suppose it depends on your experience and skill level. I have never had enough skill to push a bike beyond its abilities. I am aware enough notice a small change in suspension but have never really needed it for performance reasons. The adjustable triples John was talking about might be what you want if you are pushing the bike to its limits and need to dial it in on specific tracks.

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
I'm new with this bike. I see where you are supposed to get these bikes up. I've dropped the forks in the triples. Maybe I'm over thinking this and should just ride it.
The reason these bikes like to be raised is to bring up the center of gravity. The bike pivots (rolls, leans) about that center of gravity and the higher it is, (within reason) the easier and quicker the front tire can steer out from under it and roll the bike.

There is always a trade off between stability and maneuverability. A low center of gravity makes for a more stable bike but also less maneuverable.

I'm assuming the bike still has the stock suspension so the quick, easy and cheap mod is to put the forks flush with the top triples, as you've done, and add a 5mm shim washer under the shock top mount. This raises the front about 7mm, as I remember, and the tail ride height about 15mm. So you are netting roughly 10mm bike height and also changing the bike pitch attitude down slightly which reduces trail.

The best thing you can do with a new bike is set the pre-loads (sag) correctly for your weight with gear and confirm the clickers are near the factory settings. Then ride.

What is your weight with gear? If you're not in the 160-180lb range, a rear spring for your weight would be the first mod.

Make sure you are on a good set of properly inflated tires before making adjustments. Otherwise, just ride it as you said.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Usually the attack triples come with a set of inserts to choose the offset that suits you...

As far as what you need, I would ride and make changes based on your need rather than to some arbitrary number. If not, it's easy to get completely lost in all the changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts