Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres the scoop:

im running my 89 katana 600 with a gsxr1100 engine (oil cooled). its been a project for the last 14months and now everything is done on it but i cant get the damn thing tuned for sh!t. i had pods on it and opt'd to toss the airbox back on. im also running a v&h pro sidewinder exhaust. the carbs are 36mm mukuni's w/ 138 mains and a float height of 15.5 mm, and main needles on the 3rd clip. air screws at 2.5 turns out. ive tried a bunch of different settings. i know im running to much gas i think at this point cause it puddles in my megaphone, so either i got fouled plugs or something.

can anyone give me a nice base tune i can start with: float height, main jet, main needle and air screw. i just want it some what ridable so i can get it to the dyno on its own power

thanks rob

·
Administrator
5,568 Posts
Start by setting the float level to what the service manual calls out for. Then you might drop the needles down. The main jets that you are running are they the stock ones. Seemes to me you need to find out what the stock combination was and go from there. For the 1100 that is. I don't see how just swapping the motor out would give these kinds of problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have two different racks of 36mm carbs and they both have different main needles (noticably different) and main jets are 112.5 and 138. yeah thats what im trying to find out is what the oem jets are or to see what jets others are running with the same set up....

·
Registered
612 Posts
http://www.oldskoolsuzuki.info
The above link is mostly british guys with others from around europe. Excellent for old skool bikes. The guys are fun but in a different way the way they poke at each other. Just make sure you have some pictures to post if joining.

I think you should balance the carbs a bit first.

Now go head for the oil cooled section at the link. You've been warned to have pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mate i'm running a 1127 in a gixer 750 frame and the carb settings i'm running at the moment which are very close to being right are.

2- 3/4 turns out on the fuel screw

needle clip on bottom groove

150 main

I'm running 36mm cv

twin carb K&N's

GYTR stubby can

it pulls like a train but has a cough when changing gears at full throttle but i'm working towards getting it sorted.

These should have you up and running and be able to ride it anyware.

Hope this helps cheers Damo

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
36 carbs those big enough??? Its been a whole minute, but i thought those was for the 750's also your bigger on CC so I would think you would need 38's. I would say the best tune is a dyno tune for that application. You have alot of things going on and figure 250 can save you time:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts