Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My money is on a bad battery. Nothing screams a shot battery like crazy codes being thrown and difficult starting after running it for a bit. If it's acting like it's got a poltergeist, I'd double and triple check that battery. You say you "had it checked" but what does that mean exactly? Did they just throw a multi meter at it and found the voltage to exceed 12.5? Because most pocket multimeters don't have a true load test function and that's what you need. Simple voltage alone isn't very useful in your situation. You need to know that it can bear the load and that means amps. Take it to autozone if you don't have one, they'll put it on their load tester for free. You can get really hung up chasing your tail, needlessly replacing sensors and fixing what's not broken. Slow down and look more closely at the obvious things first before racing off to some super obscure, rarer than rare explanation or culprit. If the battery is on the blink, you may as well forget about all the codes you've been chasing as well, because it's not good data. Even the Suzuki manual says from damn near page one that you must have a sound battery before conducting any tests involving any aspect of your wiring harness, and especially FI code diagnostics. Without a battery that's behaving like a new one, you can't trust any dealer mode error codes. It's perfectly common for a battery to read 14+ volts on a multimeter DC voltage setting and still be completely shot. It may start once and get you miles from home but as soon as you kill the ignition and attempt to restart it, you'll be up shit creek.
I had orilyes load test it about a month ago that was the first thing i checked

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Weeeeell it might have been the battery after all, im guessing i was working under the assumption that o'rillies knew what they were doing when they tested the battery ( but you knuw what they say about assumptions. (ITS THE MOTHER OF ALL FUCK UPS.) I just baught a new battery,charging now we'll know in a few hours

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I read thru most of this.
I've never seen the clearances make it hard to start when hot. I could see how that could happen however.

When your setting the STPS line in Dealer mode- you DO know you check if with the bike warm and idling, right?
Even one of the most watched how to Youtubes on it does it with the bike not running LOL

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,780 Posts
Did Oriely's test the battery while it was hot?

When it cranks slow above 180, have you given it throttle? It's true that tight valves get even tighter with heat (stem elongates with heat). But cracking the throttle open will compensate for that just a bit. C28 and C29 codes only when it's hot trouble me a bit. That starts pointing toward the ECM. But a battery that has heat related issues could be causing some ECM craziness too. How old is the battery?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well up date on the problem.the battery WAS the problem. I bought a new battery today and changed it up, put it in had trouble with initial start up, might be from flooding it try ing to start it on old battery. When it started it belched a big ball of exhaust then ran fine, then i took it for a spin. When i got home i let it get up to 200 degrees and shut it off, crossd fingers and pushed start button , HOLY SHIT IT STARTS. MORAL OF THE STORY IS NEVER TRUST A MORON BUTTON PUSHER AT A PARTS STORE.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Also thankyou to the members pointing in the right direction even if i was to stupid to listen. Ready reference #1 ALWAYS check battery first

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,780 Posts
Or, test while in the fault condition..... don't blame the parts slinger.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
As I said in post #12, if the battery voltage is too low, fault codes can be triggered incorrectly. Think about it. The ECM expects (some) sensors to be reporting a voltage between 2 values. Those values will be based on a nominal 12.x V power supply. If the battery voltage is 30% lower, some of the measured values could suddenly be out of spec, causing an error code.

You are correct in that there is no specific FI code for a dud battery.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I know but like i said i had it tested, lessen learned anyway thankyou for pointing me in the right direction

21 - 30 of 30 Posts