Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 GSXR 750-G model that I want to restore to 100% spec, I am 98% done except for the airbox and the fuel tank filter thing (canister), pictures are pending. She runs awesome once warm but the throttle is a little off as I accelerate after 30-50 MPH, it's minor and does not cause me to loose any sleep or riding enjoyment. However, right now I have the single carb air filters on each carb and I want to put on the OEM airbox and the fuel filter canister system that I recently purchased on ebay.

What should I be aware of before doing this as I have to take out the engine to get the airbox in, and I DO NOT want to re-jet the carbs.

Thank You GIXER Folks,

·
SuperMod of the North
26,148 Posts
Damn, great project. I don't think you need to take out the engine. On my '89 1100 I have to remove the carbs and it will slide in from the clutch side then pop back between the rear frame risers. Carbs go back in next then the final connection is pushing the air box boots over the carbs and locking them in place. If yours is similar you do have to remove the battery and battery box to get your arm in there from the back to get the air box boots lined up and on the carbs.

We need pics immediately. This is not a drill.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,148 Posts
Also, it is going to run richer. See the thread Carbs 101 that is stickied in the Tech Section but you are likely dialing back the fuel adjustments and lowering the needles. If you are running stock jets you should have no problem.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If your carbs have been PROPERLY setup to run with the pod filters, you WILL need to rejet for the airbox. You will need to set it all back to stock specs. You will find all of those specs in the service manual. I don't know anything about a "canister filter" as my bike is a bit newer and doesn't have one. Not really sure if yours is supposed to have one, as I've never heard of a bike having one, ever. Got a picture of said canister? I'm really curious about it now.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,148 Posts
He is likely California, they have a ton of other stuff going on. There is a whole system on top that engine of canisters and hoses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn, great project. I don't think you need to take out the engine. On my '89 1100 I have to remove the carbs and it will slide in from the clutch side then pop back between the rear frame risers. Carbs go back in next then the final connection is pushing the air box boots over the carbs and locking them in place. If yours is similar you do have to remove the battery and battery box to get your arm in there from the back to get the air box boots lined up and on the carbs.

We need pics immediately. This is not a drill.
Thank You for all of the feedback GxRrr community, here are the pictures I promised. Again, my goal is to get the OEM airbox and emission system in without breaking anything or having the bike not start. She ran tip-top before I broke her down to add these OEM parts. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Wow, that looks to be in VERY good stock condition. Very nice find. Good luck, and let us know how it works out ! ! !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts