Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike runs great. But if i take about a 20min. ride and get the bike up to temp( about 200 ) and shut it off it will not start back up. It cranks over but will not fire. I have to wait about 10-15 mins then it will start right up no problem .. any ideas guys ?? any help is greatly appreciated. I did a search but found nothing with the same problem im having. :headscrat

·
Registered
514 Posts
well if its not firing you have to look at either the coils (ohms test each individually) or your main ignition control. generally ignition controls when they age will give hard starts or no starts from the increase in resistance the heat soaking adds.

·
Registered
955 Posts
And Im not too sure how the cooling circuit works and such, but on my car if it got too hot etc it wouldnt start. I.e busted radiator hose, bad thermostat etc..

·
Registered
285 Posts
BlueEyedDevil did you figure out your problem. Or does anyone else have any suggestions. I am having the same problem - bike will start fine when cold or warm, but if it is out in the hot sun all day it won't start. I can start it fine at first, drive 5 blocks down the road to get gas and then when I try to restart it and cranks over and over again and doesn't even try to start. After about 4-6 times cranking for 15 sec. a piece it usually starts if my battery is still good.
Does it say in the manual how to Ohm's test the coils? and main ignition control? Sorry when it comes to electrical stuff I get frustrated.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well I know it isn't vapor lock because the pump is in the tank, and the line going to the engine is only about 5 in. long. which isn't much to get a vapor lock in. I did try to open the gas cap anyway though. I also know that it is not the coils because the bike runs perfectly after it starts. If the coils were bad it wouldn't run well at all. So I knew it had to be the starter - took apart the starter motor and cleaned all the dust out of it. Brushes were still good and I still had continuity between all the blades and no continuity between the blades and the shaft = good starter motor. Put it all back together and now it starts perfectly everytime. It even starts up faster - less turning over even when cold. Hope this helps anybody with this problem out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem (+200F), it turns over just fine, but no starting, here comes the fun part, I can push start it.
2nd gear, rolling, slipping the clutch together with pressing the start bottom, it starts right up.
The starter don't run any faster when push starting, so its not the starter.
I have no idea what it is but its frustrating.
Many its the carburetors that gets to hot, and the gas boils and floods the engine? i don't know.

·
Super Moderator
8,756 Posts
I have the exact same problem (+200F), it turns over just fine, but no starting, here comes the fun part, I can push start it.
2nd gear, rolling, slipping the clutch together with pressing the start bottom, it starts right up.
The starter don't run any faster when push starting, so its not the starter.
I have no idea what it is but its frustrating.
Many its the carburetors that gets to hot, and the gas boils and floods the engine? i don't know.
If you want help with this problem, you should start your own thread in the tech section.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts