Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanks before hand i bought 750 project bike (98) that came with 2 sets of sprockets 15/46 & 17/48 with a special hub, which of these would be better for street use? i know the -1/+2 is typical but would there be any benefit in running the 17/48? thanks

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
2,101 Posts
In my opinion the 750's don't need to change the gear ratio. For the most part all you are doing is sacrificing top speed. If you don't care about top speed so much, then have at it. There is an improvement in acceleration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gotcha the bike didn’t come with the stock sprockets but came this those two new with chains so was just curious especially with the 17/48 at highway speed

·
Mod of the North
29,802 Posts
I am actually considering going to a longer gear next time I buy sprockets. I will sacrifice a little off the line power but don;t really need that for commuting and general street riding. I am not looking to boost top speed but it will lower my highway cruising RPM. Honestly, for regular commuting and street riding I don't need brute force just some muscle.

EDIT: I am guessing that these things with a 6 speed would be optimal. I came from a six speed and miss that last gear.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
2,101 Posts
And that brings up the worst thing about gearing down. RPM's, and fuel mileage. You will be screaming down the highway just to keep up with traffic.

Reactions: Tinsnips
1 - 5 of 5 Posts