Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1998 gsxr 750 with 18,000 mi on it and was just wonting to no if anyone has ever adjusted any valves , i cant find anything on the web about it. i just need some guidance, any help will do. :hmmm:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
yes........... hundreds of times.

whatcha want to know can be found in a service manual.... you will need one.

If you have done a cars valves........ throw out most of what you know about valve adjustment. It doesnt have rocker arms. The cams ride directly above the vavles and make contact with a bucket that covers the valve spring. This bucket has a shim under it, and this shim is how you adjst the valves. you will have to measure precicely what the clearance is of each valve now. Write that down. Remove the cams (making sure to do this at TDC of #1 cylinder and noting the timing marks on the cams) and then remove each shim bucket and coinciding shim. MEASURE shim thickness. Now using the specified valve clearance find the difference you need from what you measured, and either add that or subtract that to the thickness of the shim and put the shim you need to get the gap in. Do this for all valves.

This is kindof general.... a manual will explain more.

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
I would suggest the factory service manual.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
With a valve adjust I usually change the oil... and especially on a bike I jsut bought I change all fluids and check all major bolts (callipers and stuff)

You will probably want to get a vavle cover gasket too.

If it hasnt been done, it is a good idea to think about your cam chain tensioner. It is known to have problems in those generation of bikes. you can go to an upgraded OEM or an APE manual tensioner. You will have the cams out so it would be a good time to do it.

A vavle adjustment is a pretty makor job, and should only be performed if you are comfortable with your skills and knowledge of internal combustion engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.