Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a 99 GSXR750x (not sure what the x means but that鈥檚 what the title says anyways). I bought the bike for $100.00 cash and definitely know it鈥檚 fuel injected 馃槵 but that鈥檚 beside the point. The bike has sat in a garage for several years. Upon purchase I was told a fuel pump, ignition, and chain would get it running. So I ordered the parts immediately no questions asked. I鈥檓 new to the street bike scene so my question is.. is there anything else I need to be concerned about? Honestly trying to buy and flip it. Just not sure if I鈥檓 going to end up over my head. Working on Dirt bike and fourwheelers are second nature to me but I feel like this might be totally different. Any advice on serious issues I need to be paying attention to? And please shoot me straight I鈥檇 love to have the bike but not trying to out grand or two into a bike that old. Any suggestion or opinions welcome. Thanks again!

SuperMod of the North
It is going to need all new fluids...fuel, oil, coolant and brake fluids. All those systems should be flushed and cleaned. Inspect the brakes and clutch. New oil and possibly air filter & clean fuel filters (2). Battery is likely in need of a change, trickle charge that one and see what you get for voltages...12.5V key off, 10.5 to 11V cranking, 13.5 to 14.5 running at 4500 to 5000 rpm. Check the wiring harness for burnt or broken wires and repair. Check fuses.

After that it should start and run or at least it will be possible to diagnose any problems.

Super Moderator
Upon purchase I was told a fuel pump, ignition, and chain would get it running. So I ordered the parts immediately no questions asked.
Welcome.

That would have been a big leap of faith for me without some diagnosis first. I would rate that right up with the "Doesn't run, just needs a battery" sale ads.

Also, use the tech section for your future tech questions. I'm guessing there will be a few. :p

It's great that you are getting it back on the road.

Registered
Welcome.

That would have been a big leap of faith for me without some diagnosis first. I would rate that right up with the "Doesn't run, just needs a battery" sale ads.

Also, use the tech section for your future tech questions. I'm guessing there will be a few.

It's great that you are getting it back on the road.
But 100 bucks...

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Got the title and registration taken care of today. So as of now I have $300 invested between parts,title,and bike it self. Hopefully after some routine maintenance(fluids,oil change, ect) and other issues fixed she will be ready for the road. Keep watching bc once it鈥檚 road worthy it鈥檚 up for grabs for cheap. Only bc I know how I am on a dirt bike... it wouldn鈥檛 end well for me on something that fast ha!

Registered
Got the title and registration taken care of today. So as of now I have $300 invested between parts,title,and bike it self. Hopefully after some routine maintenance(fluids,oil change, ect) and other issues fixed she will be ready for the road. Keep watching bc once it鈥檚 road worthy it鈥檚 up for grabs for cheap. Only bc I know how I am on a dirt bike... it wouldn鈥檛 end well for me on something that fast ha!
I鈥檒l give you $500 for it if you鈥檒l deliver to me.

Keep us posted with the build. I bought a Kawa Z650 when I was very young and more stupid that 鈥渘eeded new points, condenser and battery鈥. They failed to mention the damaged wiring harness, gummed up carbs and tires that were square from sitting so long. Still made a nice project bike and once I made my own wiring harness and fixed what needed fixing I sold it for a profit. I pity the person that would have to diagnose any electrical issues with it though. I made the harness from red and black wires. It鈥檚 all I had! I then wrapped it with electrical tape so you wouldn鈥檛 know just by having a quick look.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I鈥檒l give you $500 for it if you鈥檒l deliver to me.

Keep us posted with the build. I bought a Kawa Z650 when I was very young and more stupid that 鈥渘eeded new points, condenser and battery鈥. They failed to mention the damaged wiring harness, gummed up carbs and tires that were square from sitting so long. Still made a nice project bike and once I made my own wiring harness and fixed what needed fixing I sold it for a profit. I pity the person that would have to diagnose any electrical issues with it though. I made the harness from red and black wires. It鈥檚 all I had! I then wrapped it with electrical tape so you wouldn鈥檛 know just by having a quick look.
I definitely will.. hopefully my schooling in electrical engineering will come to some use for once haha

Super Moderator
1 - 14 of 14 Posts