Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm new to this so bear with me. Like the forum too....anyways I have a 2004 GSXR750 with about 2000 miles on it and to my knowledge THERE HASNT BEEN ANY MAINTENANCE DONE IT.... I dont know why but thats the condition I got it in. I have purchased the air filter, oil, and a K&N air filter....please if any of u can assist me in anyway to change these it would be great....I know its easy to take it to a shop but I want to know the ends and outs so that I can do the work myself just in case.... :headscrat

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
its pretty basic...take off one of the side fairings, unscrew the drain plug, unscrew oil filter and replace :thumbup:

never did my air filter yet.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Probably will be just under 4 quarts. Put in three and then stand the bike up strait as you are pouring in the 4th till the oil level is in the middle of the oil bubble. then run it for a few minutes and recheck it, you'll probably have to add just a little more after you run it. Shouldn't hold over 4 quarts though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
while you're at it it won't be a bad idea to lube your chains, at 2000 miles your chain should still be tight but it won't hurt to check their slack, see your manual for recommended slack. also check your idle if it's too low, my bike's idle went low after break in (1000 miles) and i had to readjust the idle (just under the gas tank on the left side of the tank, it's exposed). as far as the oil goes, most mechanics i talked to said that try to keep the same type/kind of oil, this would be a good time to plan on what oil you'll be using everytime you change your oil. in case you don't know there are cheap oil filters at your local auto part store so you don' have to pay $15-$16 for a friggin' suzuki oil filter. enjoy your new bike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool... Well I do have the Suzuki oil filter and i also heard that i should use synthetic oil.. I just have the regular oil from suzuki but do you guys think it would be better to go with synthetic instead...... sorry to keep buggin but i just wanna get this right to keep my 750 happy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
......and about the idle..what rpm should it be idling at because it does sound kinda low like its not right.....dont have the manuel cause the guy who had it before me obviously didnt care!

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
sr24 said:
......and about the idle..what rpm should it be idling at because it does sound kinda low like its not right.....dont have the manuel cause the guy who had it before me obviously didnt care!
The idle should be around 1200 rpm.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
OIl had been explained... but yes synthetic is fine. I use Motul or Amsoil. You CAN change it later (unlike what someone hinted to) but you do not want to MIX oils as in having amsoil in there, and topping it off with motul is a bad idea. Only use suzuki filters or K&N, I wont use anything else. DO NOT try to use a torque wrench on the oil drain bolt. You WILL strip it. Just tighten it good and tight.... doesnt have to be "squeaky" tight :D

Air filter, you need to remove the driver seat (two screws on the sides towards the front) Then remove the screws holding the tank down (near steering stem)

In your Tail section there should be a little funny looking bent rod. put the end that is bent at right angles in the steering neck, and the other end in one of the holes you took the tank mounting bolts out of.

Unscrew all the screws in the top of the airbox (dont miss the one in the middle)

Replace air filter and reverse instructions.

Lube chain AFTER every ride, not before as the chain will already be hot, and it also gives the lube time to set in so it doesnt fling all over the bike

Check the tire pressure BEFORE you ride... everytime.... I keep a gauge in my trunk.

Your tire pressure can change 1-2 lbs with every 10 degrees of temp change.

Be Safe

·
Registered
522 Posts
When i used non synthetic oil (yamalube) my gears would get kinda clanky and harder to shift when i knew it was time to change my oil, approx.2000 miles or so. but with the silkolene race synthetic oil i go about 3000-3500 miles and my gears still feel smooth. but i am changing it in about 30 min. only downside to silkolene race synthetic... 12.99 a bottle :lol: but hey u get a whole 54ml then the others... its 1 liter and 1 quart is 946ml. so after about 18 liters i get 1 free... :headscrat i think

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.