Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well unfortunately recently my dad died. I miss the shit outta him I lost him to stage four colon cancer and being there with him to the end was one of the hardest things I have had to overcome in my life. He was diagnosed in august and died in may. Before his diagnosis he was healthy as a horse he just turned 60 in april. What a loss I am still in shock and my mom is absolutely torn up. Well he left us a gift that I wish I never received but am thankful to him for it. He had a substantial life insurance policy and although I have always been in the position to buy a bike financially I wanted to buy something that I could use to take my mind off how horrible I feel. A week ago I went to the dealer and bought a 2019 gsxr 750 with 0 miles. I have rode liter bikes before and I think I am sorta regretting going for the 750 but I wanted something a little less murderous to cut my teeth on. I have ridden dirt bikes for going on 20 years and up until a year ago stayed away from road bikes because I didn't think I would last on one. Now you know more about me and I look forward to being a positive contribution to this site mainly in the how to section I am an FAA certified airframe an powerplant mechanic and hold various ASE certifications I repair Roll Off dumpster trucks for a living now and have spent my entire life working outta my tool box so if you read any of my advice rest assured i wouldn't give it if I had not encountered the same issue and resolved on my own already. Btw what is the 2019 750 called? Like a k7? I have no idea? Thanks for reading my story look forward to chatting in the future. Jon Mills

·
SuperMod of the North
25,773 Posts
Sorry for you loss Jon. That is a tough go. Congrats on the bike though. A little two wheeled therapy will help. Post up a pic of your new best friend for us please.

·
Super Moderator
8,884 Posts
Welcome and sorry for your loss. I lost a customer to colon cancer years ago and it was shocking how quickly it progressed. He was mid 40s and it was just a few months from first symptoms till he was gone.

I envy guys with some dirt riding background as they seem to have a better feel for traction and what the bike is doing underneath them. The transition in riding styles seems to be the biggest leap.

The 750 is great bike depending on what you want to do with it. No it will not get to the next stop light ahead of a 1k but will match or beat them on twisty roads given equal skills.

Don't fool yourself by thinking it is any safer. As the old pilots said about the 40hp Piper Cub, "It's just fast enough to kill you". Hitting a guard rail on a 5hp scooter is a bad day.

Enjoy your new ride!

(BTW A&P here also)

Reactions: WhiteDeath

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome and sorry for your loss. I lost a customer to colon cancer years ago and it was shocking how quickly it progressed. He was mid 40s and it was just a few months from first symptoms till he was gone.

I envy guys with some dirt riding background as they seem to have a better feel for traction and what the bike is doing underneath them. The transition in riding styles seems to be the biggest leap.

The 750 is great bike depending on what you want to do with it. No it will not get to the next stop light ahead of a 1k but will match or beat them on twisty roads given equal skills.

Don't fool yourself by thinking it is any safer. As the old pilots said about the 40hp Piper Cub, "It's just fast enough to kill you". Hitting a guard rail on a 5hp scooter is a bad day.

Enjoy your new ride!

(BTW A&P here also)
Your right about that very good point its plenty fast enough to turn me into a long red streak. But I also think you are very correct about the dirt riding. If your not getting loose going really fast around a dirt corner your not doing it right. I kinda liked it when my back tire would be worn down cuz it was squirly as hell all over the place but really good practice. Thanks for the Reply and stay safe out on the ramp!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sorry for your loss!! While in high school I lost my father in less than a year to a brain tumor.
You picked a great forum to share info, learn, and just meet friends. Your new bike looks sharp!! Keep posting pics, wear gear and enjoy!!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Welcome to the 'R'. Sorry for your loss.
I lost my dad 12 years ago to Metastatic lung cancer. Seems like yesterday.

I just turned 60 myself! Too stupid to die- yet anyways.

Nice ride you have. Plenty fast.

I too rode MotoX as a kid all the way up to being able to get licensed on the street, then not so much anymore. On the dirt, if you weren't doing a powerslide around the corners- you weren't riding!

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,740 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I lost my best friend to a brain tumor when he was just 40 and I'd just recovered from leukemia myself. My mother, ex-wife, and director at work all got breast cancer within like a month of each other a few years ago. All doing well now, but cancer sucks.

Congrats on the bike. As mentioned, you likely won't be too disappointed you didn't buy a liter bike. Remember today's 600s are putting about roughly the same hp as superbikes of not that long ago. Personally I LOVE my 750, especially on the track.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome to the family. I’m sorry for your loss, I too lost my father early. He was 53 and never made it off the table after a heart transplant. Anyway, sweet bike!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well unfortunately recently my dad died. I miss the shit outta him I lost him to stage four colon cancer and being there with him to the end was one of the hardest things I have had to overcome in my life. He was diagnosed in august and died in may. Before his diagnosis he was healthy as a horse he just turned 60 in april. What a loss I am still in shock and my mom is absolutely torn up. Well he left us a gift that I wish I never received but am thankful to him for it. He had a substantial life insurance policy and although I have always been in the position to buy a bike financially I wanted to buy something that I could use to take my mind off how horrible I feel. A week ago I went to the dealer and bought a 2019 gsxr 750 with 0 miles. I have rode liter bikes before and I think I am sorta regretting going for the 750 but I wanted something a little less murderous to cut my teeth on. I have ridden dirt bikes for going on 20 years and up until a year ago stayed away from road bikes because I didn't think I would last on one. Now you know more about me and I look forward to being a positive contribution to this site mainly in the how to section I am an FAA certified airframe an powerplant mechanic and hold various ASE certifications I repair Roll Off dumpster trucks for a living now and have spent my entire life working outta my tool box so if you read any of my advice rest assured i wouldn't give it if I had not encountered the same issue and resolved on my own already. Btw what is the 2019 750 called? Like a k7? I have no idea? Thanks for reading my story look forward to chatting in the future. Jon Mills
Really sorry to hear that about your father my condolences to your family. I lost my mother a few years ago. I've never been the same. I still think about calling her everyday. Just ruff! time heals most of it. I was an avid dirt bike rider my whole life since about 6 years old. I always had street bikes off and on since high school.. pretty much Suzuki's my whole life ever since I got an rm50, then I moved on to katanas and gsxrs...alot different than dirt bikes but you got the good basics. Streets f**king gnarly sometimes esp in LA . You didn't exactly get a beginner street bike that's for sure LOL.. honestly I can't remember riding a 750, what it was like but it wasn't much less than my 1000 as far as I remember. I was riding my Harley for years then when I got back on the sport bikes I was like woah! I had forgotten it's like a riding a jet. I'm sure you know. I think you did the right thing though. Keep in mind going in that direction. I would suggest something to you that I do all the time learned this from my daughter. I watch a lot of YouTube crash reviews and crashes. I've learned so many things on there.. just little things that probably have saved my life. I still picture in my head some of those crashes when I'm in that situation that they were in. I watch a lot of Dan Dan the fireman. Basically what I've gotten out of it more than anything is that a lot of times the guy on the bike dies because he was expecting the cars to do what they're supposed to. And a lot of times they don't. My biggest fear is that person pulling out in front of me. happened to me a million times.. my buddy was on his way to school around Christmas I seen him pass my house hauling ass... about a mile up on a straight away a guy pulled in front of him doing a u-turn. Thought he was further away but he was going so fast he couldn't stop in time the guy couldn't get out of the way in time. Just food for thought. I ride by his cross on the side of the road almost everyday. It reminds me sometimes when I start getting stupid

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2old2dieyoung You brought up a very important tool i have also used extensively which is watching youtube vids. I have watched as many as i can find on what not to do.I feel like it is possible to stay alive and watch out for everybody else. One of the worst mistake is hauling ass past a column of cars on the left side people are gonna u turn or turn left and usually very quickly because they are annoyed with the wait. The other would be cars pulling out of side streets. I am itching to hit the twisty down from our ski are here but am really nervous about that asshole cutting into my lane in his car coming the other direction. Any way thank you everybody for the kind words its been long enough that i am not dwelling on the last 48 hours of his life (which were the worst most emotional days of my life) and have begun remembering the good times. So times is healing and he has even come to me in my dreams last time he was with my favorite dog that i recently had to put down so that made me feel really good. Thanks for letting me share this stuff with yall stay safe out there summer is winding up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts