Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
rotaredom
888,895,580 Posts
damn tragic.

how about a helmet radio/warning system etc...electronic of sorts.

How many times does this shit have to happen.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,702 Posts
damn tragic.

how about a helmet radio/warning system etc...electronic of sorts.

How many times does this shit have to happen.
How would that work? Starts are crazy and everything is happening in split seconds. There's just no time to do anything other than react as quickly as you can.

·
rotaredom
888,895,580 Posts
How would that work? Starts are crazy and everything is happening in split seconds. There's just no time to do anything other than react as quickly as you can.

it happens more than just starts, a warning noise in the helmet to the riders to get them to slow/back off would make a huge difference imo.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,702 Posts
it happens more than just starts, a warning noise in the helmet to the riders to get them to slow/back off would make a huge difference imo.
May be possible for red flag situation but not sure it would help anything short of that would likely cause more harm than good since racers are conditioned to see a flag with their peripheral vision. Getting spooked and chopping throttle can cause a lot of problems. A tone would take some getting used to and might not be as reliable as a good old flag. But I'm old and set in my ways. ;)

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,723 Posts
We are told as racers if you stall/mechanical or fail to launch your arm goes up, you wait till that everyone is gone or that wave (depending) then get your shit right or get off the track ASAP.

Its a huge loss for the racing community and especially for all those involved with them personally. I pray that they find comfort in this time. RIP

as far as warning noise goes in the helmet IDK. The start and T1 is a very dangerous time on the track. When you're gridded and the 1 board is displayed revs go up then when that board is turned sideways its almost go time everyone has their rev set to their launch and is holding the clutch waiting for the green flag to go up. It's a placid time of focus, adrenaline,... you can hear yourself breathe in clarity but its deafening externally. It's hard to explain the experience. Its a mad dash to turn one, blurr at best then find your line...stick it, make it clean and believe that others are doing the same bc you are inches from one another. So Idk even if you could hear a warning you wouldn't know where to avoid. especially from the rear of 40 bikes. but you're right we can/need to think of something.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Happened right in front of me, horrific!
His hand went up and 2 rows back didn't see it. I believe the current warning system of flags is so ingrained and the warning tone
would not have helped in this situation. I feel for everyone involved, really sad.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I was at this race and saw it also. I also run this track on track days and can tell you where they crashed at the beginning when you launch you instantly start going up a hill to a peak and before you reach the peak you can't even see the other side to see turn one. I also think the flags is out dated and we totally need a new way of letting drivers know of situations and circumstances but with all these tracks having so many different road conditions and a lot of tracks having parts that turn into blind corners or blind peaks I think we need to figure out A way to do it that won't freak the rider out.

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was at this race and saw it also. I also run this track on track days and can tell you where they crashed at the beginning when you launch you instantly start going up a hill to a peak and before you reach the peak you can't even see the other side to see turn one. I also think the flags is out dated and we totally need a new way of letting drivers know of situations and circumstances but with all these tracks having so many different road conditions and a lot of tracks having parts that turn into blind corners or blind peaks I think we need to figure out A way to do it that won't freak the rider out.
I'm not sure how flags could possibly be outdated, but I could see adding more flaggers.

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,723 Posts
All I'm saying is when you launch off a grid its mayhem. You dodge who gets a bad launch or stall the best you can and drag race the rest to T1.

Maybe one day the grid will be integrated into a HUD in your visor running at real time via gps tracker on each rider. You could have thin red indicators circles to highlight stalls and slow launches on the grid. This wouldn't be as dangerous as flag waivers drawing your attention/eyes off track. The tech could go further by giving you basic stats on the rider ahead as in laptimes, speed, avg corner entry/exit per turn, etc etc. Also track conditions as in status flags. It could also be linked to the track Marshall so he can call you off line if you're oiling track..

you can see where I'm going with this.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Terrible loss to hear of, RIP and thoughts to their families. Those initial forays into the race have always seemed the most dangerous to me as a spectator.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I'm not sure how flags could possibly be outdated, but I could see adding more flaggers.
What do you mean you're not sure how flags can be out dated? Electronic suspension, traction control, lean angle, wheelspin and so on and so on then a crash and a man holding a flag to stop these electronic beasts?? Just does not seem to make sense to me. And how does adding more flaggers solve anything except puttting more peoples lives in danger. What they should have is a LED strip that goes around the whole edge of the track. It should be split up every hundred feet that way a person in each corner tower can control their certain number of hundred foot grids that way they could just light up the strips needed whatever the color is that is needed and that would let the driver know a lot better than a man waving a flag since your eyes are 90% on the road anyway. All I need now is someone to help me patent it lol

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What do you mean you're not sure how flags can be out dated? Electronic suspension, traction control, lean angle, wheelspin and so on and so on then a crash and a man holding a flag to stop these electronic beasts?? Just does not seem to make sense to me. And how does adding more flaggers solve anything except puttting more peoples lives in danger. What they should have is a LED strip that goes around the whole edge of the track. It should be split up every hundred feet that way a person in each corner tower can control their certain number of hundred foot grids that way they could just light up the strips needed whatever the color is that is needed and that would let the driver know a lot better than a man waving a flag since your eyes are 90% on the road anyway. All I need now is someone to help me patent it lol
Your eyes can pick up a flag faster than your ears can pick up a sound. Lights are a good idea.

·
Live Fast Die FUN
14,135 Posts
I'm not sure what the tech on the bikes has to do with the system of flagging. Either way is up for the riders to pick it up and respond. Lights flags sky writing its all up to the rider to pick up the signal and respond. Flagging is used because its universal. No way to convinces thousands of track owners world wide to spend millions on lights. Solid idea but it isn't happening any time soon.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
The point of talking about the tech on the bikes was just to show how they keep updating bikes and tracks so that it is safer for the riders but yet the number one safety key on the track has not been updated. Bikes get faster and faster and faster and it gets harder and harder to see flags. I mean good Lord if they can update stop signs and stoplights with LED lighting's and things to catch your eye then why would they not want to update to something better to catch your eye in a sport that your life is at risk all the time. Also the only thing universal in flagging is using the flags. I have been to different states were different color flags mean different things for the track. so I don't understand what you mean it's universal because it truly isn't at the end of the day. Also come on you can't even compare a light and a flag. If you could then they would've never traded in hand signals for turn signals. Just some food for thought.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts