Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Live Fast Die FUN
14,135 Posts
Im not comparing them and I said you had a solid idea. Its a solid idea with little to no chance of ever happening though. Its a business to them.

Sure different flags mean different things just like different lights would mean different things. Unless you some how are going to convince track owners to spend millions in making the light system upgrades and also telling them exactly how to do with it exactly what colors and flashing patters and expect them to do it exactly the way you want it.

Like I said, solid idea but it will never happen. The most effective way to get riders attentions that can be controlled similarly at tracks across the world for every type of racing (remember these arent just bike only tracks) is probable the flagging system when you factor in cost.

Solid idea, but I highly doubt the flagging system is changing any time soon and if it does I bet on some kind of pole signage, not to make it safer but to cut cost of flaggers. At least then they may use LEDs or something more visible. I also wouldnt be surprised if there were issues with certain colors visibility during direct sun light. New traffic lights for example. The LEDs in the new traffic lights are TOTAL wash outs during direct sun light. Forcing the manufactures to use those "blinder" shades on the sides and top drastically reducing viewing angle.

The hand signal point is silly. Hand signals are easily more visible lol. They went with turn signals to keep your hands on the bars that control you for safety. Talk about not universal....no two bikes have turn signals and brake lights in the same place, style or size. The fact that we trust cagers to find out lights and compute what we are doing in time to not kill us is amazing. My buddy got rear ended on his CBR because had one of those fancy brake light that flashes before going solid. The cager said " I saw it flash and thought he had those stupid neon lights every one uses".

Lastly....I think a helmet warning system of some type would be way easier to pull off and could even by down by orgs that use the track and leave out the track owners. Many of spend money on transponders for a race season or lap timers. Force the rider to buy/rent the helmet portion and provide the system. Done and done.

"Crash inside of turn 2, slow down move to out side. Full course yellow"

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Don't forget the LEDs will be on the ground like the new crosswalks and not in the air like they are at the stop lights so sun will not come into a factor. They put the shades on them so when you are looking up at them you can see them even if the sun is even in the sky with them. Just remember if LEDs didn't work in the sunlight they wouldn't be converting all cars headlights and taillights and brake lights to LEDs. Just like a flagger waving a flag at 8am on a corner where the sun is rising. You can't see the flag but you can deff see the edge of the track. Sure there are blind corners but all you would do is light up that LEDs before the corner where you could see them. I love the new smart helmets. But the reading something as you are flying down the track? Don't think that's is the best idea. Also the helmets are Bluetooth so just think how long it would take to hack one. I can tell you not long. Just look at how they are able to hack into the Bluetooth on cars now and take over the driving of the car. The LEDs would be hard wired so lot less chance for stuff to happen. It will never be 100% safe sport but they definitely need a new way of letting riders know of dangers

21 - 26 of 26 Posts