Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i had fuel spraying on me from the exhaust while the bike was running. only ran it for a short amount of time. i looked through the clear glass on the side of the mottor an seen the oil was super thin. what looks like fuel an oill mixing. could this be a head gasket ?????

·
SuperMod of the North
27,955 Posts
If it was coolant I would point you to the head gasket but it is fuel so I'd point to the carbs. Check your float heights first, a sticking float could cause excessive fuel to flow through to the cylinder. I'd also check the petcock shuts off completely. A faulty petcock can flood the engine with fuel too.

How is it running? Rich? Does it start easily? When is the last time the carbs were done?

Reactions: NatoBenz

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,529 Posts
Everything that Tin suggested. Need more details. Most importantly, how does it run throughout the whole throttle range? My bet is a bad petcock. IF you diagnose that the petcock is the culprit, do not waste your money on rebuild kit, or anything other that a new OEM petcock. It truly is the ONLY way.

Easy way to diagnose, is to run it for a minute, then pull the fuel lines off of it, and if fuel is still leaking out of it, it's bad...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was coolant I would point you to the head gasket but it is fuel so I'd point to the carbs. Check your float heights first, a sticking float could cause excessive fuel to flow through to the cylinder. I'd also check the petcock shuts off completely. A faulty petcock can flood the engine with fuel too.

How is it running? Rich? Does it start easily? When is the last time the carbs were done?
the guy i bought it off of told me he just had carbs cleaned and tuned. and the biike was jetted not sure if thats gonna cause any hiccups or not. i rode it all weekend with no problems.
i went to start it yesterday and fueled sprayed all over me from the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,529 Posts
Test the petcock. It's a common failure for them when they get old. Especially if the bike sat for a couple years at any point in it's life. Again, if you need to replace it, ONLY buy an OEM. Yes, they cost more, BUT it will last another 20+ years without issue. Aftermarket are junk, and will give you many issues. Rebuild kits DO NOT work. All wasted money, and you will end up buying the OEM Suzuki anyway. I have had nothing but carbureted Suzuki's my whole live.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Test the petcock. It's a common failure for them when they get old. Especially if the bike sat for a couple years at any point in it's life. Again, if you need to replace it, ONLY buy an OEM. Yes, they cost more, BUT it will last another 20+ years without issue. Aftermarket are junk, and will give you many issues. Rebuild kits DO NOT work. All wasted money, and you will end up buying the OEM Suzuki anyway. I have had nothing but carbureted Suzuki's my whole live.
I appreciate the knowledge. I will not be going the cheap route with buying parts then lol. I will definitely buy OEM replacement on anything i do with the bike. is 33,000 a lot of miles for a bike ???

·
SuperMod of the North
27,955 Posts
The fuel on start up sounds like a petcock as Spyder suspects.

Do you know why it was jetted? Are you running an aftermarket air filter and exhaust? Finding out what jets were put in and why may be good to know later. I don't see it being the main cause of this problem though.

One thing you could do is pull the spark plugs and see how they look. One fouled one may indicate a problem with an individual carb. Since it runs good it isn't as likely to be a carb problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts