Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The bike overheated and started spitting out coolant from the reservior. Looked at the temp gauge and read 225 degrees. The fan never came on. Today i ran a couple wires to the battery from the fan wire and it turned on. My friend told me to change the coolant so i will be doing that. Now if the fan doesnt turn on prob because the thermo switch right? The guy at the parts counter in Extreme Machines told me it could be the thermo switch or it could be a bad water pump. I dont think its the water pump because i rode the bike back from NYC to Marlboro NJ and thats a good 50 - 60 miles without over heating after it was cooled down for an hour. Bike has 17K miles on it.

The 2 things that i can think of right now is old coolant and the fan isnt turning on and that is why it overheating. Anyone has experianced this situation please let me know what to do. Thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts
Even with 'old' coolant it should not over heat. You could run straight water in it and the temp would be fine. That being said, it should only hit high temps like that in the city, then the fan would kick in and cool it off....so if you were in the city, and the fan didnt kick in, then there is your problem. Check your fuses first.

If its over heating on the highway, then regardless if the fan works or not I would say you do have a problem with your water pump or thermostat.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Even at 225 your bike should not spit out any fluids. Yor fan should have been on aswell.
Thermostat
Thermo switch
Termostat
Fan would come on in any of these situations should that would be first on my list
Thermostat being closed or not open would be second as it may be restricting flow of liquids
Waterpump could be it as well but still does not explain reasoning of fan not coming on.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
change your Thermostat first.

Mine had that issue and it was because of a faulty Thermostat

·
Registered
163 Posts
If the water pump is bad you should see seepage from the weep hole similar to a car. 50 to 60 miles on the highway not really a good indicator over whether or not its overheating, it should run signifcantly cooler on the highway, just due to the fact that there is cooler air flowing all around it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce

Mine got worse!
Couple weeks ago I let my dad to take my K1 1000 to downtown traffic jam for a short ride.
When he came back and stop the bike we heard vapor blowing in the coolant recervoir,then turn key on and no fan running so we let it cool down and removed radiator cap to check level and for my sorprise...foamed oil in water.
Then I looked at the engine oil level sight glass and found water in oil.

At the end of the nightmare:new head gasket,milled head and new water passages plugs. I checked fuses,fan(direct wired) and found that the thermo switch never closed circuit.

Since then I don`t let nobody ride my bike.

Greetings from Panamá!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same problem a few months back.. I bought a few things: Cooling fan thermo-switch, engine coolant temp sensor, thermostat and hoses. I also flushed out the radiator to make sure it wasnt the problem. My sensor and switch had about an inch of corrosion on them.. I also connected the fan to a toggle switch so I could turn it on when I start the bike up. Havent had a problem since then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.