Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went for an absolute hell ride on night on the Mass Pike and really pushed my 01 gsxr to the limits ......on my way home i noticed the lights dim and the bike just died....its an electrical issue which i know .....now i bought a new battery and noticed it will NOT hold a charge......so i thought ohhh well its just the stator so i bought one on ebay.......pluged it in and installed it and it still wont recharge is this stator bad too? can i test a stator? i checked the wireing from the harness and noticed that its perfect no flaws. i have a cheap battery from walmart in it right now but it runs perfect on a full overnight charge....any suggestions i want to ride asap!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Check your voltage with the bike off and with the bike running. When its off you should get about 12v. When its running you should get 13v-14v. If you get LESS voltage when its running(like less than 12v) then its probably either bad stator or bad rectifier.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check your voltage with the bike off and with the bike running. When its off you should get about 12v. When its running you should get 13v-14v. If you get LESS voltage when its running(like less than 12v) then its probably either bad stator or bad rectifier.
running at about 5000 rpm, i would check the rectifier next

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fired it up today and just put another stator in.....3rd stator in 2 weeks so it cant be the stator i double checked everything is plugged in correctly i will check the voltage asap and what is a reflector?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Rectifier look's like a little amp it's what tells your bike to charge your battery. that went out on my 03 vulcan and it took me about a week to figure out that that's what went out on it. for the vulcan it was only like 140$ not bad but i dont know what the price's are for the GSXR's. seeing's how the first one i have ever owned is broke down in my grage after about a week of riding it if that.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I fired it up today and just put another stator in.....3rd stator in 2 weeks so it cant be the stator i double checked everything is plugged in correctly i will check the voltage asap and what is a reflector?
It kinda sounds like your getting stator and rectifier confused. The rectifier is the thing in the tail of your bike and has a bunch of metal "fins" on it, looks like a heat exchanger. The stator is built into the left side of the motor and its the thing that actually creates the electricity, its pretty much like an electric motor, but it works the opposite way. Im not positive but I believe the rectifier is what "conditions" the electricity that your stator generates, It basically keeps the voltage at an acceptable level for the bikes electrical system. At higher RPMs, the stator will create more voltage then the bike needs, so the rectifier basically dissipates the excess voltage as heat, which is why it has all the heat exchanging fins on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tro you are absolutly correct I never knew what that was until i looked it up.....well i took it off the bike and unplugged it and noticed that one of the connector things was burnt out so its clearly a bad rectifier regulator. but now here is the issue it only burned that one prong on both the reg and the harness where you connect it....i will buy a new reg but what should i do about the harness?

·
Registered
552 Posts
It burnt a prong out on one of the NEW rectifiers you put in? Or it burnt the one out of the original? As far as what to do now, thats a good question. Does the rectifier have any bit of wire coming out of it before the plug, or is the blug just built right onto the rectifier? If theres some wire to work with, you could cut the plug off the bike and off the rectifier and put blade connectors on each wire to hook them together, and still have the rectifier easily removable. Just hope that if you get it fixed you dont have a bigger problem that burns that same wire up again! Might want to do some further inspection for shorts or anything you can find out of the ordinairy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this exact thing happen to my 02 1000. I just put my own good quality plugs on the burnt wire and it's been good for a year now. Doesn't get hot anymore. It's a little know problem with many early GSXR's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya so i have the rectifier in my hand right now i was wondering if i could just cut off the black connector and make my own wiring this way i would have fresh non burnt wire! i mean the rectifier is only metal right or is it now junk?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think your gona have to make your own wiring, if the connectors in the plug on the bikes wiring harness are burnt up. I would just put some female blade connectors on the bike side and some male blade connectors on the rectifier side, then you can hook and uhnook them easily. As far as the rectifier being good or bad? Its hard to say, I dont know much about how they are made but I beleive there a little more complicated than just the metal fins you see on the outside. But it sounds like you have 2 or 3 of them laying around? Im sure one has to be good. Just check your voltage when you get the rectifier hooked back up and the bike running. With the bike running at 5000 RPM you should get atleast 13 or 14v. If you dont get that then the battery will never charge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya so tomorrow im going to just cut off the black connector and match up al the wires like you said I think this should work. but my question is what is a rectifier exactly i mean how does it work... i know it regulates the electricy but is it just the wires connected to a metal block that has been specially made? i wanna know if i fried anything inside the thing

ps thanks so much for your help man

·
Registered
552 Posts
Im not sure how they work. Im pretty sure theres more to them than the metal heat exchanger your seeing on the outside. I would guess there built kinda like a transformer, lots of copper windings? The metal fins you see on the outside are just to dissipate heat to help keep it from burning up. Good luck man.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.