Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2001gsxr 750. No mods. Recently I had a problem randomly begin. The bike will start fine , idle fine, rev fine, but when under a load it hits around 7000 rpm and just slowly climbs no matter what gear the stva is fine tps is good, plugs are new and checked them after a ride and there are black and sooty. Seems to be running rich . Any ideas or advice would be fantastic. Thank u much mlt87

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,449 Posts
Sounds like you are running a bit rich. What condition is the air filter in?

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Hello, I have a 2001gsxr 750. No mods. Recently I had a problem randomly begin. The bike will start fine , idle fine, rev fine, but when under a load it hits around 7000 rpm and just slowly climbs no matter what gear the stva is fine tps is good, plugs are new and checked them after a ride and there are black and sooty. Seems to be running rich . Any ideas or advice would be fantastic. Thank u much mlt87
I'm guessing this is the part you are asking about.

Do you mean the rpm rises slowly along with the bike accelerating slowly? Or just the rpm rising slowly and the bike not accelerating?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing this is the part you are asking about.

Do you mean the rpm rises slowly along with the bike accelerating slowly? Or just the rpm rising slowly and the bike not accelerating?
sorry about that..the bike acceleration slows way down and the rpm barely rise. If I snap the throttle it will almost make the bike stall out if I ease very slowly it will accelerate slowly

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
OK, I think you need a fuel flow test of the fuel system as one of the easy, first diagnostics.

Has the bike sat a while recently, ever? What area the country you in? As in, do you ride it year round, leave it over winters, how long you're had it, etc.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,449 Posts
Sounds like it's time to check fuel pressure, and flow rate. These procedures are in the manual. Do you have a manual?

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
sorry about that..the bike acceleration slows way down and the rpm barely rise. If I snap the throttle it will almost make the bike stall out if I ease very slowly it will accelerate slowly
^ What they said, likely a fuel starvation/flow issue and a fuel pressure and flow test will confirm or eliminate it as the problem.

I would say the chances that your filters are plugged are pretty good considering the age of the bike.

Be gentle with the high pressure filter in the plastic housing, those things are $400! Also, you should probably order new o-rings for reassembly as the old ones are probably not reusable and if they leak, you will have the same issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I think you need a fuel flow test of the fuel system as one of the easy, first diagnostics.

Has the bike sat a while recently, ever? What area the country you in? As in, do you ride it year round, leave it over winters, how long you're had it, etc.
It sat for two years before I got it.. but fired right up ran great for about 7 months put around 2500 miles on with no issues. I live in Michigan. Rode from October to about may.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ What they said, likely a fuel starvation/flow issue and a fuel pressure and flow test will confirm or eliminate it as the problem.

I would say the chances that your filters are plugged are pretty good considering the age of the bike.

Be gentle with the high pressure filter in the plastic housing, those things are $400! Also, you should probably order new o-rings for reassembly as the old ones are probably not reusable and if they leak, you will have the same issues.
I took the whole fuel pump apart and cleaned it ..was filthy didn't have any issues getting it back together..made the bike run a little better but not much

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If it was starving for fuel would the plugs still show that it's running rich?

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
I took the whole fuel pump apart and cleaned it ..was filthy didn't have any issues getting it back together..made the bike run a little better but not much
What did you do with the high pressure filter?

You should run a fuel pressure and flow check at this point.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
It sat for two years before I got it.. but fired right up ran great for about 7 months put around 2500 miles on with no issues. I live in Michigan. Rode from October to about may.
You rode over the winter months then? More hard core then me, in WI.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,449 Posts
Yes, you could still be running rich (separate issue) on the low end. When you open it up, it sounds like you are starving for fuel. There is the outside possibility that you are running too rich throughout the throttle range, and that is causing your main issue. But that is less likely. You should start your diagnostic journey with the fuel flow test. You can download a Suzuki manual for your bike from the interwebs for free. Once you get through the flow test, then you can look for other culprits.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
I didn't see your 750 listed but this 2001 600 manual should be close enough to point you in the right direction.

There is also a 750 manual download here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts