Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I recently ran into an issue where my bike won't start. I can ride it all day long and when I turn it off it just won't turn over. It sounds like it's going to but then the battery goes dead. The fuel pump engages and all the light turn on when the key is on. I thought it was the stator or rectifier. I put both of them through tests using a voltmeter and they both fell within the specifications. So I bought a new battery from batteries plus and spent around $110 on a Duracell ultra battery. Went for about 3 rides and when I got to my buddies house today I went to start it and bam wouldn't start. I am able to push start it and get where i need to go but I don't want to do this every time.. I also don't want to buy and new stator or rectifier if its not that. I just need help and I wana get back on the road. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ride safe yall.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What did your volt meter tell you about the stator legs, rectifier resistance, and battery voltage running and shut off?

Also why not buy the OEM Yuasa battery if your going to spend $110? OEM cost about $89 And last 7-8 years plus you know it’s designed for the bike.

Your lights cut on but did they dim when you pressed the started button?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My resistance on the stator was 0.8 ohms of resistance on all three wires. (Which was good according to the other forums I've read. Suppose to be between .4-.9 and they all were exactly .8) rectifier I tested forward and reverse to make sure that it wasn't allowing power the wrong way and that was good also. I tested that by running power forwards and backwards through the rectifier. The only test I didnt do was test the voltage being produced by the stator while its running. I was thinking possibly it has enough juice to keep the bike running but not enough to charge the battery while doing so?

Also I didn't know the oem was only $89😞

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My resistance on the stator was 0.8 ohms of resistance on all three wires. (Which was good according to the other forums I've read. Suppose to be between .4-.9 and they all were exactly .8) rectifier I tested forward and reverse to make sure that it wasn't allowing power the wrong way and that was good also. I tested that by running power forwards and backwards through the rectifier. The only test I didnt do was test the voltage being produced by the stator while its running. I was thinking possibly it has enough juice to keep the bike running but not enough to charge the battery while doing so?

Also I didn't know the oem was only $89😞
Yes when I go to start the bike the lights cut off and it sounds like the bettery is dying.

·
Super Moderator
8,755 Posts
Charge the battery, start the bike and post up what the battery voltage is with the bike at 5k rpm. It should be 14.0-15.5v DC.

Reactions: Kdwag11

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes when I go to start the bike the lights cut off and it sounds like the bettery is dying.
I would return the battery and get a quality one (OEM, Yuasa YT12A-BS, its on amazon for 69 or revzilla for 119 but you have to set it up yourself. If you need help setting up a battery let me know) after you confirm the voltage coming off each leg of the stator then as rv6 said see what voltages are going to the battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts