Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an idea on where my bike is faulty. I can’t get it to crank. Spark plugs are active. Fuel pump doesn’t seem to be putting out enough power. I just bought this bike from a man that had wrecked with minor scratches He parked the bike with 2800 miles on it and it sat till i bought it two weeks ago. When I got it home I drained the tank and charged the battery. The breather box was clean as a whistle and the carbs looked brand new. I just can’t seem to get it to start. Anyone have some remedies or ideas on what my problem might be.

·
Super Moderator
9,008 Posts
Welcome.

You need fuel, air and spark. You are missing at least one.

Try squirting some starter fluid in the throttle bodies while you crank the bike. If it fires up briefly, you know you have a fuel issue. If not, a spark issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any possibility some sort of "tip over" protection switch could have disabled the bike's ignition? And needs to be reset? I have a different model Suzuki, but it certainly has that built-in feature.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Did it sit for 18 years?

Also, how much voltage does the battery have?
Once recently (over a year ago), my battery would crank my motor, and would not start it. Tried my other battery- a bit higher voltage- cranked right up!
It's like the ECU or injectors won't crank and start it if it is a little low. You can push start in though too.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,146 Posts
Any possibility some sort of "tip over" protection switch could have disabled the bike's ignition? And needs to be reset? I have a different model Suzuki, but it certainly has that built-in feature.
Not sure on that year but a tip over switch would allow it to crank but kills the fuel pump if I recall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts