Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Suzuki Gsxr 750
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ya know, advice is a dime a dozen around here but that is damn good advice...it is worth at least a quarter.

If I recall that is straight out of the original manuscript for the 1417 GSXR DCCL (750 in Roman numerals back then). Do you actually have a copy of the sacred text or have you committed it to memory? Impressive either way.
:LOL: I caught the pun

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Day 4

Back to the bike

Installed the new clutch cable
It was still tight but much less than the old one
I played with the adjuster screw and realized the turns weren't giving "resistance" like I thought in the beginning. The tip from @rv6john was great with that. I did 3 1/4 turns and found a sorta sweet spot for the time being. It's still tight in my opinion. I'm gonna re-adjust it soon till it's reasonably done

With the bike raised on the rear stand I tested putting the bike in gear and messing with the friction zone and found that in 1st and 2nd gear if I let the clutch out the bike will stay on with the wheel spinning.

Something tells me that's not right

Aren't bikes supposed to die when you let the clutch go (stop squeezing it and let it all the way out) or am I missing something?

I was worried so I haven't actually road tested

Read something about the wheel needing to be on the ground in order to test. Not sure how accurate that is.

Video coming soon. Realized tonight that the uploads over the weekend were paused
Did you try this with the wheel on the ground?
Start it, pull in the clutch, put it in 1st, (that's up on my bike- never mind though). It should stay indling.
While it's idling, with the front brake on, let out the clutch- it should die/kill the motor.

Then ride it. At 30 mph in say 5th gear- go wide open throttle and the rpms should not climb quickly, like when the clutch plates are slippping.

I agree that OEM clutches RARELY go bad when ridden and adjusted properly. Mine LIter bike currently has over 30 K- original clutch- never 'slips'.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Day 4

.....With the bike raised on the rear stand I tested putting the bike in gear and messing with the friction zone and found that in 1st and 2nd gear if I let the clutch out the bike will stay on with the wheel spinning.

Something tells me that's not right

Aren't bikes supposed to die when you let the clutch go (stop squeezing it and let it all the way out) or am I missing something?

I was worried so I haven't actually road tested

Read something about the wheel needing to be on the ground in order to test. Not sure how accurate that is.

Video coming soon. Realized tonight that the uploads over the weekend were paused
I think you are confusing the clutch operation with the side stand safety switch.

With the bike on a rear stand and the wheel free to spin it should operate the same way it would if you were riding it. You can let the clutch in and out and shift through the gears to get power at the rear wheel...provided the side stand is up.

If you put it on stands (or on the ground) with the stand down the bike will start in neutral and the clutch can be squeezed & released. As soon as you click it into gear it should shut off.

Side stand safety ensures the following regardless of clutch lever position:
  • Bike will not start in gear with kickstand down
  • Bike will shut off if put into gear with stand down
  • Bike will shut off if in running and in gear and stand is put down.

Reactions: S&P 750

·
Premium Member
2002 Suzuki Gsxr 750
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I think you are confusing the clutch operation with the side stand safety switch.

With the bike on a rear stand and the wheel free to spin it should operate the same way it would if you were riding it. You can let the clutch in and out and shift through the gears to get power at the rear wheel...provided the side stand is up.

If you put it on stands (or on the ground) with the stand down the bike will start in neutral and the clutch can be squeezed & released. As soon as you click it into gear it should shut off.

Side stand safety ensures the following regardless of clutch lever position:
  • Bike will not start in gear with kickstand down
  • Bike will shut off if put into gear with stand down
  • Bike will shut off if in running and in gear and stand is put down.
@Todd_Sails @Tinsnips I had the bike on a rear stand when doing this. I think a video will clear up anything I'm not relaying properly. I'll be back after the storm passes through my area to record

·
Premium Member
2002 Suzuki Gsxr 750
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Day 5

Thanks for all the assistance so far everyone! Back at the bike. Tried to demonstrate the issue I'm having.

Issue:

1st gear with the clutch out doesn't stall the bike on rear stand or on the ground

I haven't had a chance to fix my previous mistake at the adjustment screw. Just wanted to document the quick tip from earlier. Here are the clips I took today:

·
Premium Member
2002 Suzuki Gsxr 750
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Day 6

My thoughts on where I'm at:

I've lost where the screw was in the first place. The bike still doesn't stall in 1st

Here's what I did:

Screw the adjustment screw in till I felt resistance then back out 1/4 turn and lock it down
Turn the cable adjuster counter clockwise to tighten the amount of free play up top at the lever

Video uploads

·
Premium Member
2002 Suzuki Gsxr 750
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Day 6

My thoughts on where I'm at:

I've lost where the screw was in the first place. The bike still doesn't stall in 1st

Here's what I did:

Screw the adjustment screw in till I felt resistance then back out 1/4 turn and lock it down
Turn the cable adjuster counter clockwise to tighten the amount of free play up top at the lever

Video uploads

@rv6john for the "resistance" feel, does that assume that the adjustment screw isn't messed with too much? Wondering if since screwing it out a week ago is causing the issues now

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
Getting confused on what you are expecting to happen here. Are you saying the bike doesn't move in first gear with the clutch out? When on the stand, clutch in, in gear, the rear wheel will spin. This is due to minor drag in the clutch pack. This is normal. In your second to last video, you need to adjust your cable at the engine, all the way in. After that, then adjust your push rod in until you hit resistance, the 1/4 turn out, lock it down. In your last video, from there you need to adjust your cable play at the engine side of it. Then fine tune that at the lever.

Reactions: S&P 750

·
Premium Member
2002 Suzuki Gsxr 750
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Getting confused on what you are expecting to happen here. Are you saying the bike doesn't move in first gear with the clutch out? When on the stand, clutch in, in gear, the rear wheel will spin. This is due to minor drag in the clutch pack. This is normal. In your second to last video, you need to adjust your cable at the engine, all the way in. After that, then adjust your push rod in until you hit resistance, the 1/4 turn out, lock it down. In your last video, from there you need to adjust your cable play at the engine side of it. Then fine tune that at the lever.
@Spyder13 My bad. I caused some confusion here. The bike does move in 1st.

My goal is to get my clutch lever to a point where it isn't hard to squeeze. I made a few too many adjustments and got snagged up with the bike not dying in 1st with the clutch out. Before I started this the bike would absolutely stall if I let the clutch go in 1st from a standstill.

To my knowledge the bike is supposed to stall when the clutch is out, rear stand or not.

I did test this with the wheel on the ground before. I was on the bike in 1st, let go of the clutch completely and the bike did not stall.

I'm sure once I get this right that'll be resolved

·
Premium Member
2002 Suzuki Gsxr 750
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Update

I just rewatched the video and noticed I never put the speed sensor back. Wonder if that would be contributing to that not stalling issue

Next Plan is to

1. Adjust the cable at the engine
2. Fine tune at the lever

That's pretty straightforward. I'll report back tomorrow

·
Premium Member
2002 Suzuki Gsxr 750
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Day 7

With the bike on the rear stand, I did the adjustment at the engine and fine tuned at the lever. All was well then I tested. The clutch got extremely tight and I had almost no friction zone. I think I need to do the clutch adjustment at the engine when both wheels are on the ground. But I'm not giving up. I wanna keep trying.

I'm gonna try the process again with the engine adjustment and the lever with both wheels on the ground.

What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
2002 Suzuki Gsxr 750
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Day 7 Update ISSUE RESOLVED

Went to Silver Spring Cycles this afternoon to resolve this situation

Tech stated:
Clutch was slipping

Push rod adjustment in three and 1/4 turns too tight causing clutch to drag
Readjusted the adjustment screw (push rod screw)
Readjusted at the engine
Readjusted at the lever

Good to go

Background knowledge:

Tech stated that the "resistance" is extremely faint. It's the slightest bit of resistance.

The real issue is that I still don't know what the feel of the resistance is.

Before I took it to Sliver Spring Cycles

I put the bike on the ground and readjusted at the engine and the lever and got it to stall in 1st and had enough free play at the lever but I couldn't get past 6k rpms

41 - 52 of 52 Posts