Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

i am new to the forums, and am looking to find some help with my newly purchased gsxr 1000.

Here are the list of issues that I’ve noticed after taking the bike apart somewhat.
  • Front brake heavily applied, but somewhat movable.
  • Hiccuping / Jolting in low RPMs / slow traffic
  • abnormal Heavy deceleration immediately after letting off acceleration.
  • instantly shuts off after revving high rpm’s at idle
  • Inside fuel tank rusted
  • Some cable coming out of the Throttle Body just sitting out potentially linking something? Under the fuel tank.
  • One white plug, unplugged but nothing to connect it too?

Things I’ve done so far
  • New clutch cable
  • New brake fluid (did bleed/flush them before adding new fluid)
  • I haven’t done to much since I’m not super mechanically knowledgeable and want this bike to be my project bike so I can learn more. Those issues above I haven’t been able to figure out or find anything in so far.

· Administrator
12,442 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

That is a laundry list of things but besides the rusty fuel tank, you will have to offer some more information (some pictures will help) on the other items.

Let's start with "Front brake heavily applied, but somewhat movable". What do you mean?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

That is a laundry list of things but besides the rusty fuel tank, you will have to offer some more information (some pictures will help) on the other items.

Let's start with "Front brake heavily applied, but somewhat movable". What do you mean?
With the front brakes it as if the brake is engaged and being applied to the front rotors making the bike almost not moveable without really pushing the bike forward or backwards.

· Registered
48 Posts
With the front brakes it as if the brake is engaged and being applied to the front rotors making the bike almost not moveable without really pushing the bike forward or backwards.
Caliper pistons sticking. Take them apart and clean them. Inspect to see if they need new seals.

Another thing, don't high rev the bike at idle... under load, when riding, and the bike isn't stone cold? Fine.

Free revving in neutral? Have some mechanical sympathy; unless you want to blow it up.

The "abnormal deceleration"? How are you sure its abnormal? The sticking brakes can't be helping that.
Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Caliper pistons sticking. Take them apart and clean them. Inspect to see if they need new seals.

Another thing, don't high rev the bike at idle... under load, when riding, and the bike isn't stone cold? Fine.

Free revving in neutral? Have some mechanical sympathy; unless you want to blow it up.

The "abnormal deceleration"? How are you sure its abnormal? The sticking brakes can't be helping that.
Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
got it, and not really high revving maybe like just to 5K rpm’s or less and then slowly letting off the bike will shut off. Or by pulling in the clutch when coming to a stop while riding it will the shut off as well. And the abnormal deceleration may be due to the pistons sticking. Bike was at 152 F degrees when slightly revving to 5K or less at idle.

- Thank you for the information as well! Going to have it dropped off at a shop Tuesday to have it looked at more professionally than me as I don’t know everything.

· Administrator
12,442 Posts
There is a known issue where some aftermarket levers hold the master cylinder piston in some and lock pressure in the system. The easiest way to check if this is the problem is to open one of the bleeder valves on a caliper letting some fluid out. If the bike moves easily, it is a MC problem, if it does not, it is a caliper problem as Matt suggests.

· Token Canuck
32,186 Posts
Yeah, a laundry list for sure - still, a new to you bike so it is expected. Sort the brakes as mentioned above. I am gonna guess Throttle Position Sensor for the dying and herky jerks?

Post some pics of the white plug and the cable under the tank for us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts