Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2003 GSXR 1000 stock motor that I am running in 2005 gsxr 600 frame, extended-68 wheel base, lowered to about 2in off ground. So I kept the 180 rim/tire and am using a shinko hook up. This is hand clutch, foot shift bike. I am trying to get and idea of a gear ratio.I am currently running 16/45, but am thinking that might be a little deep. 1/4 trap speed is 138, 1/8 speed is about 115. I am going through the 1/4 in about 1/3 into 5th gear. I have 16/17 front sprockets, and a 45/43 rear sprockets. I see lots of gearing ideas for heavy riders, but none for us lighter guys. I am currently running 16/45, but am thinking might be a little deep. 1/4 trap speed is 138, 1/8 speed is about 115. Stock gearing I believe is 17/41. I weigh 155 in gear. Any ideas on what to run with my current spocket set up? I am trying to get some ideas from people running 1.35-1.45 60ft with stock motors and light weight riders.

·
Registered
122 Posts
for 60'fts like that, purchase you a slider or chop off the left hand of a grudge racer and attach it to your left arm lol

depends on are you running the 1/4 or the 1/8. if you are running 1/8 mile, you can get away with alot of gear. in the 1/4, not so much. in the 1/4, i run -1 in the front and now +3 in the rear.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have cut some 1.6, but am having traction issue, so not a fair comparison with gearing I have been running, 16/45.

I run 1.48-1.52 on my ZX14, with very little gearing, but that bike has tons of torque.

I am just curious if the 16/45 is a close gear or if I am way out in left field for my lighter weight.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Traction issues. Adjust your shock. Turn the rebound and sag all the way to the left. Then turn all the way right counting the clicks. Should be 21-22 then go halfway back left~12 clicks. Start there then adjust 2 clicks at a time until that gets straightened out. Burnout without water, and adjust tire pressure accordingly as well. I run 30psi on a 180 hookup.

I went to a cycle concepts drag pak and dropped my 60 .1

·
Registered
122 Posts
id say start with -1+2 your much lighter than me so I don't think that would be a bad gearing to go with.

mightymouse what kinda times you running and how much you weigh
i haven't been on the track in over a year lol. family and career kinda got in the way, but coming back mid summer.

when i was turbo, i was doing high 5.50's in the 1/8 and in the 1/4 from high 8.40's to 8.80's weather played a huge factor. turbos are fun if they are dialed in, but drastic weather changes makes it not fun at the track. like going from hot and humid to 40's. before the turbo and gen 2, i was stock motor with bolt on's and a little gear with a hand clutch doing 5.90's-6.00's in the 1/8 and high 9.30's in the 1/4. leaving my gen 2 clutch on and do stock motor with a good tune and gear and later a 30shot. suited about 165ish. working on shedding some weight off me too!! lol trying to lose 10lbs to get to 140.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the drag pack put it, had good luck with it on ZX14. On the shock, I am trying to learn adjustments and outcomes. So, if bike wheelies or spins on line, should I soften the rebound? If it spins a couple feet out, that would be bottom out shock or too hard rebound? I am trying to learn which adjustments to make based on launch characteristics.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Swamp am I missing something here, how do you turn sag to the left lol? 30psi and you hook? I'd be spinnin' all over the place with that much pressure.

To the OP what rpm's are you launching at? I also have a 03 1K I'm sitting right at 69. I have learned that if I try to launch at 8500rpm's i'm wheeling off the line so I launch at 8000rpm's. My tire pressure is right around 12-15psi (on a shinko soft). I weighed 230lbs back then. I was geared -2/+2 at one time cutting mid/low 1.6's. Went with -2/+3 and I was cutting mid 1.5's on a OEM clutch pack (when it's time to switch I'm going to a drag pack as well). She has some mid/low 1.4's in here for sure. I run mostly 8th mile. I know cats that are anywhere from 30-50lbs lighter them myself running more gear in the rear then me. They told me they were running -2/+5 and they were running mid to low 5's. So it all depends on the rider. FYI stock gearing for our year is 17/42.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Launching from 7,000 to 8,000 rpm. I cant get enough hook to pick it up to worry about it. I run about 6.28-6.3? in 1/8 when getting a 1.6? 60ft. I have ran 9.64 as a best on it, but that is a soft launch. I think I can get some 9.4's if I can get it to hook. I am going to play with suspension some more, back off the compression-was only two clicks out from full hard. I am also trying to get to a track that preps well and is sticky. The one track I have been having problems at runs alot of street cars on the night I go, and very little vht/track prep. I dont mind adding a little more gear, but want what I have to hook first. Maybe it is just my suspension is way off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got to test out some passes, ended up with 2 passes with 1.51 60 ft, missed gear on one, but good pass gave me a 6.14 in 1/8. I started to wheelie a little. I was thinking I need to stiffen compression to slow squat down to decrease the launch wheelie. And ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I weight 160 lbs on a 06 gsxr1000 68" wheel base 180 shinko hook up. gearing down 2 up front and up 5 on back no tune pump gas shitty 60' doing 9.1 passes consistently launching at 10k tho im sure its not needed lol...idk if that is any help to you

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I weight 160 lbs on a 06 gsxr1000 68" wheel base 180 shinko hook up. gearing down 2 up front and up 5 on back no tune pump gas shitty 60' doing 9.1 passes consistently launching at 10k tho im sure its not needed lol...idk if that is any help to you
your 60's are probably shitty because your gearing. im 200+ and dont even run that much gear.
you probably cant take off hard without it coming up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
your 60's are probably shitty because your gearing. im 200+ and dont even run that much gear.
you probably cant take off hard without it coming up.
You're also spraying Swamp. You don't need to be geared big if you're spraying outta the hole to get you going. The spray is doing the work if you have it coming in like that.

OP, try anywhere from a +3 +5 rear. Don't think you need anything more then a -1 up front with your weight.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
8 y/o post

1 - 17 of 17 Posts