Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
S.I.J
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm.

I was crusing the net this morning, and began to consider the thought of going with a 04/05 GS500. Then, the more I read the more I saw people selling them to move up to a GSXR 600. Most of were New riders and only ridden it for 1 season. average 4-5 months.(To me thats not much experience) Are these bikes that under powered. A lot of people said to start out on something like a GS500 , But i didn't realize that the owners are having such a hard time getting rid of them a year later. Or wish they had started out on a bigger bike.

I know i am going to hear the same ol' story about the "R " in GSXR and that it is not meant to be a beginner bike.I know that! , Can someone explain why they are so hard to get rid of and why they are not wanting to keep them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Boss358 said:
Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm.

I was crusing the net this morning, and began to consider the thought of going with a 04/05 GS500. Then, the more I read the more I saw people selling them to move up to a GSXR 600. Most of were New riders and only ridden it for 1 season. average 4-5 months.(To me thats not much experience) Are these bikes that under powered. A lot of people said to start out on something like a GS500 , But i didn't realize that the owners are having such a hard time getting rid of them a year later. Or wish they had started out on a bigger bike.

I know i am going to hear the same ol' story about the "R " in GSXR and that it is not meant to be a beginner bike.I know that! , Can someone explain why they are so hard to get rid of and why they are not wanting to keep them.

please man dont do it I started last season in o4 with the gs500 its cool but i didnt believe me after a week or two of riding I was pissed! I got somebody to buy it at the end of the season and now I have a gsxr 600 04 so think about it ! The 500 is cool but you will get bored with it quick. I feel that there is a big difference coming from a sports touring riding style to a rocket but, like all the advice I got from here take your time!!!!!!!!
 

·
S.I.J
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frankiethefish said:
please man dont do it I started last season in o4 with the gs500 its cool but i didnt believe me after a week or two of riding I was pissed! I got somebody to buy it at the end of the season and now I have a gsxr 600 04 so think about it ! The 500 is cool but you will get bored with it quick. I feel that there is a big difference coming from a sports touring riding style to a rocket but, like all the advice I got from here take your time!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the advice, I'am seeing and hearing too many " shoulda, coulda, woulda" stories about beginner bikes. I understand the responsibility that comes witha GSXR 600. It's simple! Don't drive it like and Moron and take your time, Don't try to keep up with the guys that have been riding for many years....(they understand) they once where a beginner too. I plan on having chicken strips for at least a few years.
Why does one want to lean that far over and drive that fast around corners....on a city or on the twistys . If you are on a race track i understand, but seriously WHY? ...EGO? Showoff? Impress your friends? or to have the general public to shake thier heads and prove that street bike riders are a nuisance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
Boss358 said:
Thanks for the advice, I'am seeing and hearing too many " shoulda, coulda, woulda" stories about beginner bikes. I understand the responsibility that comes witha GSXR 600. It's simple! Don't drive it like and Moron and take your time, Don't try to keep up with the guys that have been riding for many years....(they understand) they once where a beginner too. I plan on having chicken strips for at least a few years.
Why does one want to lean that far over and drive that fast around corners....on a city or on the twistys . If you are on a race track i understand, but seriously WHY? ...EGO? Showoff? Impress your friends? or to have the general public to shake thier heads and prove that street bike riders are a nuisance.
I don't think it's about ego or showing off leaning on turns. When your doing that it's more of doing something you enjoy doing. Yes it's for the track, but i don't thinks it's about ego, just my .02. Oh and I went with an 03 gsxr to start, you know to be responsible so I think the GXSR will be ok. Yeah you might not be taking the bike to it's limits but who cares. Oh and the chicken strips part of it....I'm putting tires on it this spring, if i don't trade it, and man get out the honey mustard for those things. (the first couple thousand miles weren't spent on the curves much)
 

·
S.I.J
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Psych_77 said:
I don't think it's about ego or showing off leaning on turns. When your doing that it's more of doing something you enjoy doing. Yes it's for the track, but i don't thinks it's about ego, just my .02. Oh and I went with an 03 gsxr to start, you know to be responsible so I think the GXSR will be ok. Yeah you might not be taking the bike to it's limits but who cares. Oh and the chicken strips part of it....I'm putting tires on it this spring, if i don't trade it, and man get out the honey mustard for those things. (the first couple thousand miles weren't spent on the curves much)

I lke BBQ with mine, I too hope to enjoy the open road...SOON.

Is it true that those who scream and brag the loudest are usaually the ones that spend most of their time posing at Sonic. LOL,LOL

Ditto on the curves!!
 

·
Retired Mod
Joined
·
6,899 Posts
well bikes are listed in different classes. Just like how you have cruisers, touring bikes, standard and sport bikes. They are made to appeal to different kinda riders, whichever suits you more, and some are made for different things. One loves to cruise, one loves the track.

Its just like cars, why do you need a car that does 170+mph and has around 400hp? Why do you need a sports car when you just need a geo to get around. Its just what people want and like. If its your thing its your thing. Its just like the cruiser/sport bike rider mentality. People get cruisers cause they feel there too old to go fast, but still want to ride and just cruise. As for the sportbike rider, wanna ride fast and hard and corner.

Well, the way you should look at it, it doens't matter what you ride, as long as your riding.
 

·
S.I.J
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Point Taken

BallHawk3 said:
Well, the way you should look at it, it doens't matter what you ride, as long as your riding.
Good Point, I see what you mean.
" Ride to Ride, Don't Judge the Rider on what he/she is Ridng"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Boss358

I'm pretty sure you have decided by now to go with the gsxR. My only one suggestion is respect her or him( what ever sex you want your bike to be) regardless of CC. They are powerful bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
I would go with the GS. If you are a beginner and say you plan on having chicken strips then get the GS. You won't have any problems getting rid of it and you can learn to ride without getting killed.

Have you looked into the SV 650? It's a sweet little bike. I am going to get one for myself soon. It is what I am going to start racing on. Check them out and do your homework first. I will help you anyway I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
frankiethefish said:
please man dont do it I started last season in o4 with the gs500 its cool but i didnt believe me after a week or two of riding I was pissed! I got somebody to buy it at the end of the season and now I have a gsxr 600 04 so think about it ! The 500 is cool but you will get bored with it quick. I feel that there is a big difference coming from a sports touring riding style to a rocket but, like all the advice I got from here take your time!!!!!!!!

Hey frankie, how about this, we race on a twistie road around here. You take your 6 and I will take a GS 500 or a SV 650. I will smoke you. Don't believe me ask Fassina. It's not about the power except in the straights. I know people who can smoke me on a 600 any day of the week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
For a begginer's bike the gs500 looks cool enough. But when you start comparing it with other bikes you'll noticed that the gs's fairing looks cheaply made and when you want mods, there aren't as many options. But if you're planning on using it for commuting on long rides then its better on longer ride
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,980 Posts
ZGixxeR said:
Hey frankie, how about this, we race on a twistie road around here. You take your 6 and I will take a GS 500 or a SV 650. I will smoke you. Don't believe me ask Fassina. It's not about the power except in the straights. I know people who can smoke me on a 600 any day of the week.
Thats exactly the reason I tell people to start small, you will learn those skills necessary to that. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Here my que to chime in on my sv! (gets old huh) The sv is a great bike. very light and predictable. I could leave any 600 and some times larger bikes through the mountians on my sv. Plus there are many mods out there to make it your own. I am still trying to sell mine ( can't afford two). Its a 2000 started as a naked model, now has hotbodies racing fairings with custom fit gsxr headlight (looks just like a gsxr), new custom mixed pearl red paint, fender eliminator, etc. pm me if you want more info. Anyway, the sv is a wonderful bike especially for a beginner. Plus they are cheaper and insurance is much cheaper, which is why I baught mine. You can see a picture of it under my thread in the people section named Me and my toys.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top