Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a 05 gsxr 600 it has 23,000 miles but looks and runs great it has a few mods but engine is clean doesn’t leak any fluid and the guy I’m buying it off financed it last year but selling it to buy another car any recommendations on Mantneince I should do and should I be scared of the miles ? Any suggestions is appreciated

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Coolant hoses are probably the original. About $200 for new ones. Also, might want to measure the brake rotors to see if they're still in spec. Other than that, all the fluids and inspect the chain/sprockets. Also, 24000 is the inspection interval for the valve lash. My 2005 has about 28000 miles and I run the crap out of it on the racetrack. I wouldn't be scared of it. Pretty much estimate you'll have to put $500 into it once you get it. More if you want new tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the tires are good he said he did a coolant flush last year so I know when I get it ima do oil change. the chain looks good and sprocket to and he told me dealership did spark plugs so I am getting full synthetic oil and K&n oil and air filter but I deff am getting the valve looked at when i grab the bike but overall looks like a solid bike just curious on others people opinions

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
The miles are not an issue. It is a 15 year old bike so expect some issues, the list of potential problems is long, the list of likely problems is a lot shorter and highly dependent on use and care of the bike. Overall, they are solid bikes.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Chuck is right, K&N oil filters have been proven to be garbage. As for their air filters? It's a preference.

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
Many moons ago we had a member here named 100,000Dan. He was a motorcycle courier in England who had well over 100,000km on a GSXR 1000. If it has been maintained she is still a young lady at 23,000 and with the appropriate attention should ride as such.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Actually from "Bob is the oil guy" k&n oil filters are not too bad. Built by Wix. That was 5 years ago. I don't know who is their manufacturer now.

Their air filter is garbage though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
^The last time I checked, the K&N oil filter was made in Thailand by HiFLoFiltro. I recommend OEM oil & air filters unless it's a race only bike. The only exception is the Mobil-1 M1MC-133 oil filter.

Check if the bike has had the MC recall.

Find out exactly what coolant was used or be prepared to flush the system if you ever need to top it up.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Funny you mention "race bike". Most racing bodies have outlawed the K&N oil filter and two trackday organizations I ride with them don't allow them.

·
Registered
271 Posts

This is a car filter but I remember reading the same for a motorcycle filter.

The reason it could be banned by racing bodies is because the nut can become damaged & leak from the weld. It is not firmly attached. I would only use it to remove the filter.

·
Registered
271 Posts
For me I use a budget filter from a motorcycle shop but I opened it to assess it myself. I don't need to take someone's word. It's a Kimpex.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
This is a car filter but I remember reading the same for a motorcycle filter.

The reason it could be banned by racing bodies is because the nut can become damaged & leak from the weld. It is not firmly attached. I would only use it to remove the filter.
It wasn't the nut. The seal was blowing out (don't know why) and blowing oil everywhere.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
In the 36000km I did on my k7 600, all but 4000km was using k&n street air and oil filters. I did oil & filter changes every 5k to 6k km and a week before each of my 2 track days.

The only difference I noted from the air filter compared to OEM was increased induction noise through the air box.

I didn’t have a single oil drip leak from any of the oil filters.

Maybe quality has gone downhill - last bought one 2 yrs ago. Maybe folks didn’t install them right, who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
Asking cause I don't know...never been to a track. Would oil pressure be higher at the track due to sustained high RPMs? Might that be a consideration for leakage in a particular filter? I ran a K&N oil filter too for a while and didn't have leaks but being reasonably law abiding didn't see sustained high RPMs for more than a minute or so on any given day.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The way I understand the whole K&N oil filter thing is, The screw-on type filters have gone down in quality. This was discussed about a year ago. I don't recall ever using one of those on anything. I have always used K&N oil filters in my '83 GS750, but they aren't the threaded type. Never had an issue with them. I use K&N air filters in all of my bikes. No issues. All of my bikes (thus far) have been carbureted. Never any dirtiness in them, never had any valve issues, ring issues, nothing. I won't use their oil filters anymore. Not worth the risk for me.

This really should not be an oil filter debate here in this poor guys information seeking thread. The guy probably got bored with us and left, lol.

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
83 GS750....uh, I'll be in the bathroom for a quick sec....Damn I want one of those....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts