Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read the write up on our charging system and still cant seem to resolve my issue.

I replaced the stator and rectifier. reading 10.9 at idle and 30 at 5k rpms.

not sure what else. i replaced the battery as well

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
You have a cheap rectifier and it isn’t working. Do not start the bike again until you have installed a decent rectifier. OEM or Ricks Motorsport rectifiers are trustworthy. Others maybe also.

I’m worried that at 30V your ECM may be damaged.

If you also installed a cheap stator I’d replace that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
i read the write up on our charging system and still cant seem to resolve my issue.

I replaced the stator and rectifier. reading 10.9 at idle and 30 at 5k rpms.

not sure what else. i replaced the battery as well
More information please...

What battery?
What stator?
What rectifier?
What rpm is your idle at?
What electronics are plugged up to your bike?
Are all of your terminals free of dirt (causes resistance/heat), use contact cleaner or alcohol and dielectric grease.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Sorry 30ac and 11.8 dc
30 volts ac across all the pairs? That is unusual. Most times only one pair will test low or no voltage.

Either way, you have a defective stator or you damaged/pinched one of the wires when you installed the current one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More information please...

What battery?
What stator?
What rectifier?
What rpm is your idle at?
What electronics are plugged up to your bike?
Are all of your terminals free of dirt (causes resistance/heat), use contact cleaner or alcohol and dielectric grease.
Duralast AGM bought 3/16/20
Amazon Stator/Rectifier
idle 1000
Nothing added
all free of dirt and clean

at idle stator showing 10.8 AC and rev to 5k showing 30 AC on all 3 pins

Ordered Ricks Motorsport Stator 3/19/20 and will see what that does.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Duralast AGM bought 3/16/20
Amazon Stator/Rectifier
idle 1000
Nothing added
all free of dirt and clean

at idle stator showing 10.8 AC and rev to 5k showing 30 AC on all 3 pins

Ordered Ricks Motorsport Stator 3/19/20 and will see what that does.
First I would suspect the battery (all these bikes need the factory battery or better)
Amazon parts is usually "you get what you pay for", most of the time "garbage in, garbage out"
idle needs to be 1200 steady
Your resistance across each leg should be .5ohms and at 1200rpm each lags AC should be 25-28 roughly. Once up to 5k rpms I believe it jumps to 80ac.

You may have 1 problem or a combo but again based on the parts you listed I would suspect (as I have seen for the last 10+ years) a cheap/poor quality battery, stator, and probably rectifier. The Ricks stator should do just fine, but if you have a poor quality battery or rectifier you will still have problems down the road. Buy the Yuasa YT12A-BS for it to eliminate any question future problems. No more shopping at Walmart, amazon, autozone for bike parts. At a minimum Revzilla or ebay if not Babbits or a dealership.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First I would suspect the battery (all these bikes need the factory battery or better)
Amazon parts is usually "you get what you pay for", most of the time "garbage in, garbage out"
idle needs to be 1200 steady
Your resistance across each leg should be .5ohms and at 1200rpm each lags AC should be 25-28 roughly. Once up to 5k rpms I believe it jumps to 80ac.

You may have 1 problem or a combo but again based on the parts you listed I would suspect (as I have seen for the last 10+ years) a cheap/poor quality battery, stator, and probably rectifier. The Ricks stator should do just fine, but if you have a poor quality battery or rectifier you will still have problems down the road. Buy the Yuasa YT12A-BS for it to eliminate any question future problems. No more shopping at Walmart, amazon, autozone for bike parts. At a minimum Revzilla or ebay if not Babbits or a dealership.
hmmm must be a suzuki thing lol

never had any issues with stator, rectifier or batteries from amazon or autozone on my 04 cbr1000rr, 07 r1, 06 cbr600rr, 10 r6. ill start with the ricks stator and go from there.

if i put a ricks stator and test it on the bike with it disconnected from the entire system and it puts out the same AC what do you think it would be?

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
hmmm must be a suzuki thing lol

never had any issues with stator, rectifier or batteries from amazon or autozone on my 04 cbr1000rr, 07 r1, 06 cbr600rr, 10 r6. ill start with the ricks stator and go from there.

if i put a ricks stator and test it on the bike with it disconnected from the entire system and it puts out the same AC what do you think it would be?
Yes, this is the correct path and you should be fine. There have been some very suspect and garbage stators and R/R's offered on Ebay and Amazon in the past. I would strongly avoid them.

The battery advice is crap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, this is the correct path and you should be fine. There have been some very suspect and garbage stators and R/R's offered on Ebay and Amazon in the past. I would strongly avoid them.

The battery advice is crap.
Thank you sir. The ricks stator will be here monday and i will install that night and see where i am at. i didnt buy at first becuase the amazon one i got past all the bench testing and was thinking an issue beyond the stator. like the basket it sits in is wore done and not making good contact.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
@swayc09 The rotor just contains rotating magnets that should not make any contact with the stator or wear out.

There is a very small chance they can become de-magnitized in theory, but I have never heard of that actually happening. Just get a steel wrench close to the magnets and that will tell you pretty quickly how good they are.

Some bikes had a problem with the magnets coming loose, but that was mostly early 2000 models and is easy to check.

I thought you said the stator in the bike was only putting out 30 VAC? This is the Amazon one, correct?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@swayc09 The rotor just contains rotating magnets that should not make any contact with the stator or wear out.

There is a very small chance they can become de-magnitized in theory, but I have never heard of that actually happening. Just get a steel wrench close to the magnets and that will tell you pretty quickly how good they are.

Some bikes had a problem with the magnets coming loose, but that was mostly early 2000 models and is easy to check.

I thought you said the stator in the bike was only putting out 30 VAC? This is the Amazon one, correct?
Both the amazon one and the old on that was in the bike before the amazon one. 30VAC at 5k rpm

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
How are you measuring the AC stator voltage?

Hopefully:

Pin 1-2
Pin 2-3
Pin 1-3

And not pin 1 to ground, pin 2 to ground, pin 3 to ground.

I’m sure you know this already but make sure you use an OEM gasket for the stator cover. Those tolerances are very tight. A dab of sealant on the rubber grommet is ok but not on the gasket or mating surfaces.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So put the ricks Motorsport stator and same issue. Getting 15 vac at idle and 45ish at 5k. Lol $160 out lol. And yes I am using an OEM gasket. So if the stator is not putting out the required ac and the stator is good itself. Do we have an issue with the basket it sits in?

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
So put the ricks Motorsport stator and same issue. Getting 15 vac at idle and 45ish at 5k. Lol $160 out lol. And yes I am using an OEM gasket. So if the stator is not putting out the required ac and the stator is good itself. Do we have an issue with the basket it sits in?
Damn. As I mentioned earlier, all pair of windings having low voltage is unusual. Most of the time one is considerably lower then the others.

Doesn't matter.

First, have you tried a different voltmeter to confirm the readings?

If they are the same with a second meter, it would be down to the magnets having lost their magnetism. I've never seen one do it, but I have read online that it can happen and I think it does mention it in the service manual.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a test to check the strength of the magnets except how strong the grab a steel wrench.

I'm assuming you have checked that all the magnets are physically there? I have seen an 2003 Suzuki where the magnets came loose.

I don't see how the bracket could make a difference.

·
Registered
567 Posts
What kind of meter are you using to test these components? My money is on a cheap meter not giving you accurate readings.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Is the stator wound in a 3 phase star pattern?

If so measuring 45VAC between a pin on the connector and ground would be equivalent to about 78VAC between 2 phases if I remember my 3 phase theory from university correctly.

The OP hasn’t said how he/she measured the voltage as per my previous post.

To confirm the stator is good, we will need the 3 sets of voltage readings between the phases, plus the resistance between each pin and the resistance between each pin and ground. The resistance checks should be done with the engine and ignition off.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
@Ozsyd600 the stator has a simple delta wiring with no center connection or connection to ground.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn. As I mentioned earlier, all pair of windings having low voltage is unusual. Most of the time one is considerably lower then the others.

Doesn't matter.

First, have you tried a different voltmeter to confirm the readings?

If they are the same with a second meter, it would be down to the magnets having lost their magnetism. I've never seen one do it, but I have read online that it can happen and I think it does mention it in the service manual.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a test to check the strength of the magnets except how strong the grab a steel wrench.

I'm assuming you have checked that all the magnets are physically there? I have seen an 2003 Suzuki where the magnets came loose.

I don't see how the bracket could make a difference.
I will get a second meter to verify numbers.

I do have a cheap meter, so i will borrow a friends meter and check again.

I am checking my reading the VAC between each connector or phase. i only check against ground to verify no open loop. I didn't check the magnets with a wrench. however i can feel it when i put the cover/stator on the bike.

At the battery i am reading 11.8-12.0 DC while running and 12.8 DC with key off. All fuse are good.

Also does the charging system produce enough power to stay running if you remove/disconnect the battery?

video i used to check it

1 - 20 of 31 Posts