Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
No, the bike will die if you disconnect the battery. There just are not enough watts produced at idle to run the engine and the lights. It is also a bad idea as the battery is the "shock absorber" in the systems and damps voltage spikes.

It is good that you feel the magnets as the cover is re-installed. The ones I've put on, I worry about loosing a finger tip sometimes as it pulls in so hard and fast. Besides a gaussmeter I don't know how to check if the magnets are bad or not.
Here is an interesting link with a paperclip method of checking strength, but you would need a benchmark to make the results usable.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
@Ozsyd600 the stator has a simple delta wiring with no center connection or connection to ground.
Thank you for putting me straight on that. As they say, you learn something new every day.

OP, forget my rant on voltage conversion above. It doesn’t apply. Also, I see you are measuring voltage between the pins. When you get another meter, can you please check the voltage across all sets of pins and let us know the results?

Even if your meter is inaccurate, having a lower battery DC voltage when running compared to off still indicates that it isn’t charging. Have you checked the DC voltage at the output of the R/R when the bike is running? I wonder if there is a simple wiring issue between the R/R and the battery. Is the R/R also a Ricks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you for putting me straight on that. As they say, you learn something new every day.

OP, forget my rant on voltage conversion above. It doesn’t apply. Also, I see you are measuring voltage between the pins. When you get another meter, can you please check the voltage across all sets of pins and let us know the results?

Even if your meter is inaccurate, having a lower battery DC voltage when running compared to off still indicates that it isn’t charging. Have you checked the DC voltage at the output of the R/R when the bike is running? I wonder if there is a simple wiring issue between the R/R and the battery. Is the R/R also a Ricks?

no worries, i appreciate the help.

i have 3 R/Rs, 1 amazon, 1 ebay and 1 pulled from another 2006 gsxr600 with no issues. i have not tried to OEM one with the Ricks stator yet.

I have a feeling its a wiring issue from the R/R to the stator. i will test the R/R tonight.

how do you recommend testing the R/R? i have only bench tested it.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
To check the wiring, measure DC voltage in the connector the R/R plugs into (not the big 3 pin connector to the stator!). IIRC there are 4 pins. Two negatives and two positives. You should get the exact battery voltage across the negatives and positives. If you do, the wiring is likely to be fine.

Is your stator cover an OEM one or a replacement part? As John had said, it’s unlikely the magnets are weak. When the stator cover was off, did you see any damage to the rotor or metal shavings in the stator cover? One explanation I have for low stator output is that if a non OEM cover is installed, perhaps the clearances between stator and rotor are too large, causing low voltage output.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
no worries, i appreciate the help.

i have 3 R/Rs, 1 amazon, 1 ebay and 1 pulled from another 2006 gsxr600 with no issues. i have not tried to OEM one with the Ricks stator yet.

I have a feeling its a wiring issue from the R/R to the stator. i will test the R/R tonight.

how do you recommend testing the R/R? i have only bench tested it.
So how do you come up with a wiring issue between the stator and R/R? You are testing the stator AC voltage with the stator disconnected from the R/R. Something does not sound right.

As far as testing an R/R, the best way is to just plug it in and measure the battery voltage at the battery. If you have 14.0-15.5vdc at 5k, you are golden. If not, and the stator and wiring are good, it is the R/R. There are only three pieces.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
That sounds ok. What’s the R/R voltage at 5k rpm?

What is the battery voltage at idle and 4K rpm with the r/r connected?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Battery voltage 12.2.

R/R goes to 27-28 at 5k
R/R is bad. Should not go over 14.5 to 15.5V DC.

Your battery is not fully charged either. If it’s been connected to that r/r, it’s probably stuffed due to being charged at too high a voltage.

Please do not run the bike until the r/r is replaced with a working one. ECM’s are expensive and don’t like high voltages.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Battery has never seen those voltages As I bought the bike this way and put a new battery 1 week ago . Battery 12.8 with key off

21 - 31 of 31 Posts