Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An interesting story from PJ in the mountains of TN.

His 2006 GSXR has been working well but then the engine started to die whenever the rpm approached 4,000. This was accompanied by an FI code for the PAIR valve which should not cause the engine to shut off.

After cycling the key, the bike would immediately start again, idle and run well till the throttle was opened to 4k rpm and it would die again. Totally repeatable.

My initial thought was that power to the ECM was getting interrupted at that RPM.

While PJ was hooking up a meter to check power, he noted that the charging voltage would climb to 18+ volts as rpm increased and the engine would shut down. He could repeat the sequence.

After disconnecting the R/R, the bike ran and revved normally.

Obviously the R/R is bad, but when he checked the stator, the open AC voltage was also below spec.

The interesting part was the high voltage causing the ECM to flip out and shut the engine down. I hadn't heard about that one before.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just saw a story simular about a cbr on srk cycles you tube channel. Turns out under the stator cover there was some pieces missing .... I think a spring or 2 and a few bolts, the last owner put it togeather wrong.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Interesting etiology to a symptom!

If you're on it, I'm sure it will get fixer OK.

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting etiology to a symptom!

If you're on it, I'm sure it will get fixer OK.
Hmmm I had to look that one up.

PJ just lucked into the high charge voltage when checking for another possible issue.

Of course luck involves knowing what you are looking at :grin

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
It’s much better to shut down than to blow up :)

I guess the new parts won’t be coming from China....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts