Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I order the seals and gasket replacement for my water pump that recently started leaking oil. I’m making this discussion to make sure I have the right parts
Oil seal - Part # 09283-10004
Mechanical seal Part # 17470-02f10
O ring Part # 17435-33400
Are these correct?
ive seen people say the mechanical seal is 17470-02f11 but partzilla told me 17470-02f10
Can anyone let me know if there the same or did I order the wrong one?
thank you

·
Registered
821 Posts
Are you sure that your oil seal is bad instead of the 17435-33400 O-ring? This is going to be a bunch of unnecessary work if only the O-ring is bad. Furthermore fully disassembling the pump and replacing the innermost seals really requires a bearing installer for the oil seal, something that you may not have. The mechanical seal, originally 17470-02F10, has been undated to 17470-02F11. Both should work but the newer seal is preferred. You really ought to also replace the pump housing O-ring, 17418-33401, and the gasket, 09168-06025. This isn't rocket science but does require a certain amount of mechanical skill. I hope that you have the service manual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure that your oil seal is bad instead of the 17435-33400 O-ring? This is going to be a bunch of unnecessary work if only the O-ring is bad. Furthermore fully disassembling the pump and replacing the innermost seals really requires a bearing installer for the oil seal, something that you may not have. The mechanical seal, originally 17470-02F10, has been undated to 17470-02F11. Both should work but the newer seal is preferred. You really ought to also replace the pump housing O-ring, 17418-33401, and the gasket, 09168-06025. This isn't rocket science but does require a certain amount of mechanical skill. I hope that you have the service manual.
I suppose I’ll be able to tell if the o ring is bad and just return the other parts if that’s the case. Is there any way for me to tell if the oil seal is the problem or if it’s just the o ring?

·
Super Moderator
10,476 Posts
I suppose I’ll be able to tell if the o ring is bad and just return the other parts if that’s the case. Is there any way for me to tell if the oil seal is the problem or if it’s just the o ring?
There is a lot of information in the post you created before this one, you should read it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do I have to take anything off the pump to put the o ring on? Or does it just slide over the top and into the groove?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Once the pump is pulled out of the crankcase, you just remove the old O-ring and put the new one on in its place. Inspect the old O-ring for condition and the groove plus the crankcase opening for crap that might interfere with the sealing function. With some luck you might be able to replace the O-ring without disconnecting the coolant hoses. But you really need to inspect the area around the O-ring.

As was said in your other thread, if the O-ring is OK, the oil is leaking past the oil seal and out the weep hole. But replacing the seal is a lot more work. You could try putting a Q-tip into the hole to check for oil. But there's probably always a little bit there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts