Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it possible that the 3 x Wave Spring Washers (No 17) were installed in reverse?
I don't have this bike, I have the K4 with non slipper clutch.

Do a dry install. Make sure parts,
No.1,
No.22,
No.17 x 3,
No.23,
No.24,
are all there.

Make sure it is able to be torqued down correctly, and you are not just running out of threads.

These videos may help a bit.

·
Registered
2006 GSXR1000
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Those are good videos which I have watch several times.

My new inner basket arrived and there is absolutely no movement between the parts, see first video below. Any thoughts on what cause the parts on my old inner basket to become extremely loose, see second video below? My bike has 44k mi, but doubt the miles cause that much damage to the inner basket. My guess a previous owner/mechanic did something very wrong, but what?

·
SuperMod of the North
27,997 Posts
Wait a minute. Wheetabix comes in Fruit and Nut over there? Damn, we should never have left.

Post up when you get it sorted. Interested in how this plays out.

·
Registered
2006 GSXR1000
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Parts arrived early and I had a fee evening so the clutch is in. I installed a new inner basket and three Clutch Plate Wave Washers - 1 old within 4.3mm service limit, one new factory 225N, and one new Yoshimura 300N. I installed 21621-41G00 and replace the 2.0 and 2.6 metal plates with two new 2.3 metal plates. No more clunking and absolutely no vibration on the sprocket cover. I put my bike into first and let the clutch move it a few feet several times and put it back into neutral. All seems to be working though it was getting late so it only ran it a few minutes.

When I can, I will let my GSXR warm up and take a video near the sprocket cover for a before and after. I took several photos while assembling and am more than happy to post if wanted. I hope to test the slipper and engine breaking in a couple of weeks after I get my K6 back on the road.

Thanks to everyone who provided advice on this thread and Stocky and JetSpeedz for the detailed clutch mod!

·
Super Moderator
9,920 Posts
Pics of your assembly are always helpful to the next guy.

Glad you got it fixed.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Super Moderator
9,920 Posts
So much quieter!

Reactions: marchese

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Nice call on the problem and NICE repair fix!

You asked why your previous basket came loose?

I can only think of someone dong lots of Hole Shots, and or clutch-ups to get it to come loose?
Even then, these usually hold up really well.

Congrats on your fix!

ON my 'slipper clutch'- that I have never adjusted and probably never will-
I don't notice it much really? I can still get the rear wheel to skid/slide/ when I really want to still as is downshifting to 2nd or 1st going into a tighter turn? My version of 'backing it in'. And I RARELY even attempt this!
I think overall it is nice to have.
Because I don't really notice it, I just know it's there and I'm pretty sure working correctly too.

·
Registered
2006 GSXR1000
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My K6 passed the MOT inspection! Riding off and shifting between 1st and 2nd were all very smooth. Speed limit is now max 20mph the whole way so I only got out of 1st a few times. Now that I no longer have the overwhelming noise and vibration from the damaged inner basket, I am starting to hear subtle noises and vibrations, though think they are all from the cam chain. In a couple of weeks, I will go for a long ride and test the slipper and engine breaking.

·
Registered
2006 GSXR1000
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I went on a couple of spirited evening rides last week and my clutch was so smooth! I dropped into first at around 70mph a couple of time to check the slipper and engine breaking. The slipper is so smooth that I could have done that on wet roads with cold tyres/tires and the rear would not have locked up.

So, a little to much slipper for my liking but not worth the effort to pull the inner basket and increase the cam wave springs. However, could I open the cutch window and adjust the cam lifter pins by backing out the pins maybe 2 1/2 turns or 2 3/4 turns? I read some threads that suggest to increase engine breaking you should increase the cam wave spring and others threads that you should back out the cam lifter pins further.

So, stronger cam wave spring or further backed out cam lifter pins to increase engine breaking? Thanks

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I've never messed with the slipper settings on myK5 1000. I had the clutch apart, left the basket on and changed out the conical washer- no more 'chatter' when I let it out in first.

You test of the 'slipper' seems extreme- to me anyways. I'd never to think to test it this way actually. I do know I can make the rear slide in to a turn a bit by downshifting sometimes.

I dunno?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts