Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2007 GSXR 750 and it won't start. Good battery, fuel pump runs headlight dims when pressing the starter but it won't engage at all. Checked the kickstand.

It will start when pushing it to start on compression. Checked all the fuses that I know about...Any ideas, I'm stumped on this one.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
Got a 2007 GSXR 750 and it won't start. Good battery, fuel pump runs headlight dims when pressing the starter but it won't engage at all. Checked the kickstand.

It will start when pushing it to start on compression. Checked all the fuses that I know about...Any ideas, I'm stumped on this one.

Thanks
Welcome. The most common reason for your symptoms is that the clutch safety switch is not being fully released when the clutch lever is pulled back. If you have aftermarket levers on the bike, they can cause the issue if not adjusted correctly.

You can see the switch under the clutch lever pivot bolt area. You can troubleshoot the issue by disconnecting the terminals and joining them together to see if the starter works. Leaving the switch bypassed can cause running issues.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Thanks
Lights dimming is usually indication of a bad battery. Is your "good battery" a Yuasa 12A-BS? How old is the battery?

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
Lights dimming is usually indication of a bad battery. Is your "good battery" a Yuasa 12A-BS? How old is the battery?
On the K6/K7 600/750s the starter button turns off the headlights when the starter is engaged so that is normal operation on this model. Only some models do this.

·
Registered
159 Posts
On the K6/K7 600/750s the starter button turns off the headlights when the starter is engaged so that is normal operation on this model. Only some models do this.
I have a 02 and owned a 07 750, and I never remember my 07 dimming its headlights. Additionally my 2011 and 2017 GSXR 1000 don't either. Battery or bad ground (as Tinsnips suggested) has my vote.

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
I have a K6 750 (same generation as the K7) and my headlights go out when the starter is button is pressed.

This is normal operation on this model and easy to confirm by reading the owners manual or taking a quick look at the wiring diagram for the bike.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Thanks
You say it starts on compression. Do you mean bump starting it? Does your fuel pump prime?

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks
sound like your starter relay bad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome. The most common reason for your symptoms is that the clutch safety switch is not being fully released when the clutch lever is pulled back. If you have aftermarket levers on the bike, they can cause the issue if not adjusted correctly.

You can see the switch under the clutch lever pivot bolt area. You can troubleshoot the issue by disconnecting the terminals and joining them together to see if the starter works. Leaving the switch bypassed can cause running issues.

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
Rv6 john

Great job, that was the problem. BTW: Do you own an RV6?

Thanks
I'm glad you found the problem.

I started an RV6 tail kit decades ago. I helped two others build their RVs but never did get very far on my kit. It just takes a lot of time to build a plane. I do condition inspections on two now as well as other experimental and certified GA planes. I'm also a flight instructor.

Do you own an A320 :p

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a K6 750 (same generation as the K7) and my headlights go out when the starter is button is pressed.

This is normal operation on this model and easy to confirm by reading the owners manual or taking a quick look at the wiring diagram for the bike.
rv6john
You are right my 07 750, 11 1000, and I assume my 17 1000 did/do this but its something I never noticed or cared about nor have I ever seen a write up about it (still interested in seeing that). The wiring diagram does show it I think but I don't understand all of the diagrams information. I'm assuming that the ignition box (top right of diagram) with 8 smaller boxes is what your talking about, if I follow the lines to the ignition there are two dots on the bottom left and two dots on the top right. I'm assuming two of the dots indicate power is running through the switch then the other two mean that power is being cut once the button is depressed?

A320
Glad rv6john got you going!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad you found the problem.

I started an RV6 tail kit decades ago. I helped two others build their RVs but never did get very far on my kit. It just takes a lot of time to build a plane. I do condition inspections on two now as well as other experimental and certified GA planes. I'm also a flight instructor.

Do you own an A320 :p
Retired on the A320, own an RV7 but didn’t build it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts