Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Info on the bike and riding style:

2007 gsxr 750, 33k miles, I don't abuse the bike but I commute on it everyday and will do a couple hard pulls on it here and there, and I clutchless shift every time I do hard pulls. The issues I'm having happens when I'm riding casually, I never have issues when I'm WOT shifting at redline. Changed the oil 2k miles ago, I clean and lube the chain every 600 miles, and I adjusted my clutch cable 2k miles ago as well.

I'm having some issues with my bike, at first it wasn't a big deal, but now its getting annoying as it happens more often. So basically, im having issues as follows...

The first issue is sometimes when I'm casually riding and unshifting using the clutch from first to second gear it goes into neutral, this is so annoying. If I kick the shifter firmly, I won't miss second, but I don't recall needing to use a lot of force to get it into second gear, if I use the same force I use when upshifting from 2-6 it almost always goes into neutral so the 1-2 upshift I have to use a lot of force when kicking the shifter. ill be riding like I normally do, and it just randomly decides if it wants to go into second or hit neutral instead. This happens maybe once every 3 rides I take it out on, so its a pretty common occurrence.

The second issue I'm having is a follow up to issue number 2. When I'm rolling (20-30 mph) and I accidentally hit neutral, when I go back to shift it into second it feels like its grinding gears, and I can feel It though the shifter with my foot, even when I use a lot of force and do it as fast as possible, I can feel a little grinding even with the clutch fully disengaged I don't understand why it would grind gears even when the clutch is fully disengaged... Is this a normal feeling when upshifting from neutral while moving kind of fast since theres no tension within the dogbox?

So to conclude my issues, this happens while casually riding while upshifting using the clutch. at WOT while clutchless shifting I don't have these miss-shift issues, this issue is literally only while upshifting from first to second during casual riding, no issues downshifting, and I doubt its clutch related as it engages and disengages the gears firmly, and theres no slop in the cable and lever. So what do you guys have to say? Is my oil old? Is it rider error? is it mechanical issues? Do I just have to get used to using a lot of force when upshifting from first to second? is it normal, and im just being paranoid? My bike didn't do this when I first bought it, and I never messed up a clutchless upshift, so I don't think I caused any damage from the abuse. none the less, let me know what you guys think.

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
Simple things first. Try adjusting the shifter down so you don't have to lift your foot so much. The 1-2 shift is a longer movement then the others.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simple things first. Try adjusting the shifter down so you don't have to lift your foot so much. The 1-2 shift is a longer movement then the others.
What do you mean adjust the shifter down? can I physically move the shifters pivot point? If that is the case, where would I find instruction for that? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
What do you mean adjust the shifter down? can I physically move the shifters pivot point? If that is the case, where would I find instruction for that? Thank you.
The rod from the shifter foot lever to the lever on the engine is adjustable. Just loosen the lock nuts on each end and turn it to move the lever up or down. It is left hand thread on one side and right on the other so look at it closely before you torque on the lock nuts too hard.

My guess is that the shifter is set too high so you have to move your foot up a lot to get that 1-2 shift. That is likely why you are missing it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Could be the shifter angle. Sounds to me your clutch isn't adjusted correctly. Not fully disengaging.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,539 Posts
Could you post a side on view of the shifter linkage?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rod from the shifter foot lever to the lever on the engine is adjustable. Just loosen the lock nuts on each end and turn it to move the lever up or down. It is left hand thread on one side and right on the other so look at it closely before you torque on the lock nuts too hard.

My guess is that the shifter is set too high so you have to move your foot up a lot to get that 1-2 shift. That is likely why you are missing it.
I took a look at the linkage mechanism, and I see what you are talking about. Seems easy enough, I will go ahead and adjust it later today ad report back. I do have another question though, I changed my oil and I feel like my transmission is shifting smoother. Could oil have this affect or is it a placebo affect? From my understanding, the clutch plates are submerged in the same oil as the engine oil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"Lazy foot syndrome". Every shift push the lever until it stops, then release. Don't ask it to shift, tell it to.
That is funny, I never thought about that. It could be the issue as someone mentioned earlier the shift throw is longer on the 1-2 shift compared to other gears. Im probably going to adjust my shifter.

EDIT:
This is super rare, but sometimes ill shift down from neutral to first, and it doesnt go into first, what I have to do I release the clutch and re-engage it and that allows me to go into first. Im pretty sure I kick it all the way down to its max, so maybe this means I have clutch issues?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be the shifter angle. Sounds to me your clutch isn't adjusted correctly. Not fully disengaging.
I was thinking about that, but I did a couple tests and I feel like the clutch might be fine. When stopped and the clutch lever is fully depressed, the bike rolls front and back easily, and I put the bike against a wall, and slowly let out the clutch, and the bike stalled, so I think the clutch is fine. But that doesn't explain why the gears slightly grind when I shift from neutral to second while im rolling. if im rolling and clutch in, my rpms drop to 1k rpms, so I think the clutch is properly engaging and disengaging. Maybe its just the way a dog box is since theres no load on the transmission? Either way, im not a mechanic, so these are just my observations lol, I hope what I said made sense.

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
This is super rare, but sometimes ill shift down from neutral to first, and it doesnt go into first, what I have to do I release the clutch and re-engage it and that allows me to go into first. Im pretty sure I kick it all the way down to its max, so maybe this means I have clutch issues?
The transmission will not engage sometimes unless the transmission shafts are moving. This is normal.

But that doesn't explain why the gears slightly grind when I shift from neutral to second while im rolling.
This is another sign that you are being lazy with the shift. They should be made reasonably quick with some authority behind them. There are no synchronizers like a car so you don't ease it into gear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The transmission will not engage sometimes unless the transmission shafts are moving. This is normal.

This is another sign that you are being lazy with the shift. They should be made reasonably quick with some authority behind them. There are no synchronizers like a car so you don't ease it into gear.
Ahhh, okay. I think it just boils down to rider error like you guys have said. It makes sense too because when I clutchless shift im super fast and aggressive and thats when I don't have issues, but when im being slow and cruising is when I have these issues. Ill adjust the shift linkage and be more aggressive with the upshift.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
The second issue I'm having is a follow up to issue number 2. When I'm rolling (20-30 mph) and I accidentally hit neutral, when I go back to shift it into second it feels like its grinding gears, and I can feel It though the shifter with my foot, even when I use a lot of force and do it as fast as possible, I can feel a little grinding even with the clutch fully disengaged I don't understand why it would grind gears even when the clutch is fully disengaged... Is this a normal feeling when upshifting from neutral while moving kind of fast since theres no tension within the dogbox?
This happens because your engine and transmission are turning at different speeds. Grabbing the clutch alone won't help as much as getting the engine speed where it needs to be. I assume that when you miss the shift you rev the snot out of the engine because you expect it to be in gear, just like me when I miss a shift. If you try to jam the shifter into gear before the revs drop back down far enough it will grind. Of course, if you let the revs drop down to idle it will also grind, so you want it to be pretty close to where it would be if you hadn't missed the shift.

Grabbing the clutch on a motorcycle doesn't completely disengage everything like it does on a car. If you have your bike on stands and start it and put it in gear and keep the clutch lever pulled the rear tire will start spinning.

Anyway, chances are that when you adjust the shifter height either with the shift rod or moving your adjustable rearsets (Vortex?) the problem will go away for the most part.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,539 Posts
Like Chango said. Your rear sets are as high and forward as possible. Lowering them a space or two would help.

Your shift rod is pretty much as short as it goes so adjustment there wont raise it much. To get adjustment space there will mean you need to rotate it up one notch and then adjust the rod longer to lower it to the height you want. This may cause problems for you because you will move the shift arm on the transmission away from that 90 degree angle to the rod that is most efficient. That will reduce the rotation imparted by the shifter.

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
He needs to lower the shifter by lengthening the arm. The lever on the engine will be fine.

@Karimnassef I think the upper lock nut and rod end are left handed but I'm doing it from memory which is not great. Whichever it ends up being, the other end is right hand threads.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
The knuckle on the engine end could be rotated one spline clockwise. The resting position of it relative to the shifter rod should be 90 degrees.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This happens because your engine and transmission are turning at different speeds. Grabbing the clutch alone won't help as much as getting the engine speed where it needs to be. I assume that when you miss the shift you rev the snot out of the engine because you expect it to be in gear, just like me when I miss a shift. If you try to jam the shifter into gear before the revs drop back down far enough it will grind. Of course, if you let the revs drop down to idle it will also grind, so you want it to be pretty close to where it would be if you hadn't missed the shift.

Grabbing the clutch on a motorcycle doesn't completely disengage everything like it does on a car. If you have your bike on stands and start it and put it in gear and keep the clutch lever pulled the rear tire will start spinning.

Anyway, chances are that when you adjust the shifter height either with the shift rod or moving your adjustable rearsets (Vortex?) the problem will go away for the most part.
Thats exactly what happens when I miss a shift, its so embarrassing lol. I will keep the engine speed in mind when I miss a shift next time. I like the position of the rear sets being as far front and up as possible so Ive been messing with the shifter adjustment trying to find a nice position for it. So far, I think I found the golden spot for me. That adjustment + the oil change + me not being lazy with my shifts have made it the shifting experience nice and crisp for me!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like Chango said. Your rear sets are as high and forward as possible. Lowering them a space or two would help.

Your shift rod is pretty much as short as it goes so adjustment there wont raise it much. To get adjustment space there will mean you need to rotate it up one notch and then adjust the rod longer to lower it to the height you want. This may cause problems for you because you will move the shift arm on the transmission away from that 90 degree angle to the rod that is most efficient. That will reduce the rotation imparted by the shifter.
I like the position of the rear sets (even tho I don't track my bike...talk about poser huh lol) But ive been playing with the adjustment of the shifter and I think I find a position I like. Makes the 1-2 shift seem like a very short throw, and I don't really overstrain my foot trying to kick up, it comes naturally if that makes sense.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He needs to lower the shifter by lengthening the arm. The lever on the engine will be fine.

@Karimnassef I think the upper lock nut and rod end are left handed but I'm doing it from memory which is not great. Whichever it ends up being, the other end is right hand threads.
Im not sure if I lengthened the arm by technical terms, but I brought my foot lever down, so when I kick up, I don't have to use as much force to get to the "top/end" of the shifter throw. Im liking its position so far.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts