Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wa riding my bike to a friends went inside acouple hrs came out To start the bike..
the bike battery was died so I push started it it ran fine for 2miles then shut completely off wouldn’t do nothing other than gages was flickering and starter was clicking as if battery was died,I had it towed home..
found out I had a bad regulator/ rectifier I’m waiting on a new one ..
I put a brand new battery in everything works Lights,turn signals,starter...other than the fuel pump won’t prime..could a bad R/R cause this?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I'm not sure if not having a R/R installed will prevent the system from powering up. If not, then your ECM is suspect. When the R/R goes the voltage spike to the system has been known to damage the ECM.

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
To answer the first part. The bike will start and run without an R/R or stator installed till the battery goes dead.

As far as the bike cranking but not starting. Does the cluster show "CHEC" in the temp window?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes your turn it on it says check on gages ..
If you run power from the battery straight to the pump the pump will turn on and pump

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
Yes your turn it on it says check on gages ..
If you run power from the battery straight to the pump the pump will turn on and pump
That is not good. "CHEC" means that the gage cluster is not receiving data from the ECM. That along with the fuel pump not working points to a fried ECM as Chuckster posited.

It is possible that you lost power to the ECM so you might pull the connectors from the ECM and check that the pins and sockets are not corroded or the sockets slipped out of the connector.

Since the starter cranks the engine, the ignition switch, kill switch and side stand safety switch/relay are fine.

About the only practical way to confirm the condition of the ECM is to swap yours into a good running bike and see if the same symptoms happen. Any K6/K7 600 or 750 will do.

Reactions: William roy

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
No. Plug and go. The U.S. bikes did not have any immobilizer and your odometer miles are stored in the gage cluster.

It would be really good if you could test your ECM before you buy one. That is the only practical way you can confirm you need a new one.

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
Would a ecu off a 2006 gsxr600 work on my 2007 gsxr750?
Yes. It will start and run just fine for testing.

For permanent use, the fuel and ignition mapping will not be correct. I don't know if a flash tune will fix this or not.

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
I just messaged a local tuning shop and they said they can put the 750 map in the 600 ECM along with whatever other modifications you want to do such as the set valve code delete and closed throttle fuel cut off. I think most are charging about $200 to flash an ECM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay.. could the reflash the one that’s in the gsxr750 that might be bad ?or I’d have to change it And do it

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
Okay.. could the reflash the one that’s in the gsxr750 that might be bad ?or I’d have to change it And do it
No, once they are internally damaged, they are not able to be flashed.

If you have a performance shop near you that does flashes, you might take it to them to see if they can talk to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called Suzuki Dealership in olatha they said $50-$100 for Diagnostics on the bike the said plan on $100..I’ll be putting it in the shop I’ll update y’all after they tell me what all it is

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I called Suzuki Dealership in olatha they said $50-$100 for Diagnostics on the bike the said plan on $100..I’ll be putting it in the shop I’ll update y’all after they tell me what all it is
Hope you don’t pay $100 only to be told you need a new ECM.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I wouldn't say trying to troubleshoot an ECM in the garage is easy, but it's certainly not impossible. I would remove the ECM and then turn the key and kill switch on. Check for 12V on the O/W and O/Y wires to the ECM (the power supplies). Then check the resistance of the many grounds to the negative battery terminal. That's really question #1. Is it even powering up. Could be a loose connection on any of those connectors too. That's where things get really difficult. But, if it powers up the ECM, you should then move to the circuit to the cluster. ECM powered up is 1, and then getting the cluster data from the ECM is 2. From there, the OBD system becomes available.

This kind of systematic elimination testing is just really tedious.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts