Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I picked up a new to me 2008 gsxr 1000 a few weeks ago knowing it needed fork seals and a valve check done. Deal was a great one and wanted it done by winter so I could start a body rebuild over the winter. Took it into the shop and got it done and the fi light came on on the way home.

I used a paperclip to get it into dealer mode and the code is c49. I called the shop and told them about the light but they weren't sure what it could be and told me to bring it back. The shops about 15 mins away from me. I've looked up the code and it's a PAIR Valve malfunction.

I don't exactly know what this means. The bike was also popping a lot on the way home when it didn't do that before, so is it possible the mechanic plugged something back in where he shouldn't have? Or removed something he shouldn't have?

My biggest question is do I need to bring it back to them to fix it or can I make this go away myself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did they open the tank for any reason? New plugs, air filter, etc? Your PAIR valve is the Air Injection System that sends air from the airbox to the top of the valve cover and into the exhaust side of the header to help burn unburned gases before they exit the exhaust.

It usually malfunctions when someone unplugs it either at the harness, the hoses that run to and from it, or they put an aftermarket filter in and it screws with the Mass Air Flow sensor (this is usually unlikely but I have seen it).

You do not need to bring it back to them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
To check/ fix it yourself:

(Keeping track of all bolts and placements)

Remove the seat, prop the gas tank up, check the hoses running to the airbox and throttle bodies to make sure they are plugged up.

If not plugged up then plug them, and if you can see it without removing the airbox check the connector for the harness and valve cover hoses to ensure they are plugged up. If you cant see them then remove the airbox.

Assemble in reverse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did they open the tank for any reason? New plugs, air filter, etc? Your PAIR valve is the Air Injection System that sends air from the airbox to the top of the valve cover and into the exhaust side of the header to help burn unburned gases before they exit the exhaust.

It usually malfunctions when someone unplugs it either at the harness, the hoses that run to and from it, or they put an aftermarket filter in and it screws with the Mass Air Flow sensor (this is usually unlikely but I have seen it).

You do not need to bring it back to them.
They DID replace the filter with a K&N. Also did plugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To check/ fix it yourself:

(Keeping track of all bolts and placements)

Remove the seat, prop the gas tank up, check the hoses running to the airbox and throttle bodies to make sure they are plugged up.

If not plugged up then plug them, and if you can see it without removing the airbox check the connector for the harness and valve cover hoses to ensure they are plugged up. If you cant see them then remove the airbox.

Assemble in reverse.
When you say plug them....like fully fill them with something?

·
Registered
314 Posts
So it sounds like they forgot to plug something back up (having worked at a dealer for 10 years I can promise you the majority of mechanics should never have been hired). The hoses on the PAIR valve which sits on top of the engine go to the airbox (they are rubber and pre-formed, and will have a hose clamp). The PAIR valve itself has a spot to clip a wire coupler to it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Look at the 2nd air diagram. Hose 5 is the one that goes to the airbox. May sure its connected to the airbox.

#4 is the motor itself and you see the bottom right part of it is where the harness connects.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Picture 1 is not a factor. Those don't go to the PAIR.

Picture 2 shows where they pulled the airbox off. The hose is connected but has no clamp so if it had never come off before then they are immediately at fault. You need to check under the airbox and see if the 3 hoses are connected and the harness.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Anytime, please let us know how it goes even if you have to take it back to the dealer and bash them over the head for THEIR mistake.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
It's odd to get the pair valve code. Unless the remove the wire plug from the solenoid.

You can take the air cleaner box off, take the hoses off the solenoid and the hoses from the solenoid to the Pair valves.
Get enough hose to go from the crankcase breather and route it up on top of the motor. Get a 'T' fitting, and vent the crankcase to the Pair valve.
This put some negative crankcase pressure on the motor and increase the HP by 5-6 HP peak.

Doesn't hurt the motor.

I've dynoed this, it ran the same A/F whether this system was plugged, or ran to the crankcase.

You can also just run a hose between the 2 pair valves. No HP increase, but no more Pair valve either.

If you leave the solenoid hooked up to the electrical- it won't throw a code.

IIRC, a flash of the K7 and above can deleted the Pair valve code, and you can remove the selenoid too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Picture 1 is not a factor. Those don't go to the PAIR.

Picture 2 shows where they pulled the airbox off. The hose is connected but has no clamp so if it had never come off before then they are immediately at fault. You need to check under the airbox and see if the 3 hoses are connected and the harness.
Evil, I don't understand what you mean on the Pic 2 explanation.

OP- Did they dyno tune this bike? YOu had a K&N filter installed. A slip on exhaust too? If it's popping more now, that's what usually happens when a stock system, stock PAIR valve system flow more.
That's why they 'plug' them, to get rid of the pops on decelleration, and to dyno tune and look at the a/f ratio.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Pic 2 shows the hose coming from the PAIR and that they did not put the little clamp back on. This is a immediate flag for a mechanic who is not doing his job correctly. They either lost it and didn’t say anything, forgot it along with plugging something else up which is causing the code, or failed to notify the owner that it was never there and they needed to add it ($1 part is not a big deal to the bill). Either way the air is needs to come back off to check everything.
If it’s none of the above then the PAIR could be faulty (almost never happens). I’m going to go with something is unplugged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Guys!
I ended up facetimeing the shop owner and showing him the code and under the tank. He was super apologetic and said something probably wasn't fully hooked up or something when they did it. They're going to take care of it for sure and as an apology will forego the labour when I get the PC installed next spring. Its got a K&N and a full system but no tune.
Very much appreciate all the support here guys :)
Thank you!

·
SuperMod of the North
26,685 Posts
Do you mind telling me who the shop is? I am not concerned they made a mistake but impressed they are gonna make it right. I could use a decent shop to order through.

Next summer if you are out towards Niagara give me a shout.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you mind telling me who the shop is? I am not concerned they made a mistake but impressed they are gonna make it right. I could use a decent shop to order through.

Next summer if you are out towards Niagara give me a shout.
Rider's Choice. I also do all my track days through them. They handle getting the bike to and from the track and help you out when you're there. They're really great. My parents still live in Grimsby so I'm down that way ALL the time. @MJV21 on IG.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,685 Posts
Nice. Great setup. We will have to hook up for a ride in the Spring or maybe meet to go to Dover in August.

Reactions: Spyder13
1 - 20 of 20 Posts